Solved! Project Cars 2 Low FPS

draik161

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
Hi, I recently picked up a VR headset and though it runs smooth in other games, it seems that it runs really bad in Project Cars 2. My FPS according to the Oculus Tray Tool states im getting about a solid 30 FPS while in race. I do think it is my computer because I followed a setup guide here on the forums and used 1.2 for supersampling. What does everyone recommend I upgrade or are their some other settings I should change? Specs below

i5-6500 at 3.2 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR4 2133
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 w/ 2GB VRAM
500 GB HD (Should I be running this game off an SSD?)
2 Fans (Water cooling make a difference?)

Thanks!

Solution
Your biggest problem is your video card. Oculus Rift states you need at least a GTX 970 with 3gb VRAM. Whilst I agree in an earlier post you need to upgrade your 8Gb to 16gb Ram, (forget about the frequency that has hardly any effect on game performance), your biggest problem is the GPU. Upgrade to 1070 if you can with 6 - 8Gb Vram.
As to water cooling, what case do you have? Is there any more room to add extra fans? If so run MSi Afterburner and see what temps you're getting. If the CPU is getting hotter than 75 - 80c and no more room for fans forget watercooling and get an upgraded case with more fans.
Mar 8, 2019
Oculus has been pretty buggy lately. I'd definitely upgrade that ram to at least 16GB of a higher Freq. The rift chews through RAM due to the HOME function.
SSD or HDD doesn't matter regarding speed - it's really about capacity and keeping your drive optimized. If you have your games on C: with your Oculus - because of that 2GB GPU I bet your drive is running at 100% due to the load. Check your performance monitor when you start a game and see.

Water cooling will only help if your CPU is running hot, is it? I found that when I play games they only use roughly 15% of my CPU but at 16GB they were using over 50%.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Your biggest problem is your video card. Oculus Rift states you need at least a GTX 970 with 3gb VRAM. Whilst I agree in an earlier post you need to upgrade your 8Gb to 16gb Ram, (forget about the frequency that has hardly any effect on game performance), your biggest problem is the GPU. Upgrade to 1070 if you can with 6 - 8Gb Vram.
As to water cooling, what case do you have? Is there any more room to add extra fans? If so run MSi Afterburner and see what temps you're getting. If the CPU is getting hotter than 75 - 80c and no more room for fans forget watercooling and get an upgraded case with more fans.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS