Projector cuts out after 1 minute of being on

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Here's a really tough one for you all.
So I have a Benq projector, model MP776ST. A little while ago, the bulb failed. I went ahead and found the replacement and ordered it (a genuine OEM replacement, not a cheap knock-off). Installed the new bulb, put it back together, and after turning it on, letting it warm up (15 s), it displays computer input - my PC shows up and it appears to be working perfectly. Except, after about 1 minute, the bulb cuts out, the fans start spinning at maximum (quite loud) and the "temp" led is orange/red and the "bulb" led is green.
At first I thought it was some dirt or other blockage in the fans/other - The projector is in pristine condition (no dirt, grime anywhere, or in any fans).
Then I thought that something might be wrong with the assembly or other, causing the lamp to get unusually warm. Took off the cover so the lamp assembly was exposed and started it up, even when it cut out I had no issue keeping my hand on the top of the assembly, and my IR temp gauge, when aimed at the bulb, read 120 Fahrenheit (which, from what I can tell, isn't that bad).
The only seemingly strange behavior is of that of the front fan, which only turns on after about 10 seconds after the projector has warmed up and detected an input, and it runs quite slowly for about 10 seconds, before the bulb cuts out and the fan (all the fans) get up to max speed.

I don't know how to fix this. I am quite handy with a soldiering iron if it comes to that. Any input would be appreciated (input? get it? video input? no... I'll show myself out :p).

Solution
If everything appears to be working normally except for the unexpected fan speeds and temperature-related shutdown, then my guess would be a failed temperature sensor.

Since it sounds like the electronics fans are going full-blast while the lamp fan is barely getting started, my first guess is you may have a temperature sensor stuck hot.

InvalidError

Distinguished
If everything appears to be working normally except for the unexpected fan speeds and temperature-related shutdown, then my guess would be a failed temperature sensor.

Since it sounds like the electronics fans are going full-blast while the lamp fan is barely getting started, my first guess is you may have a temperature sensor stuck hot.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.