Proposed Bill to Criminalize Selling of Mature Games to Minors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuke_Dukem

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
? They are letting you protect your own child. Thats why they are wanting the legislation at the stores level, and punishing them rather than the parents.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Criminals criminalizing video games? That's just precious.

What's worse? The Government, or a Video game? You be the judge...

G

Alcohol is illegal to sell to minors, yet they still get it.

Ciggarettes are illegal to sell to minors, yet there are 12 year olds buying ciggarettes from people and smoking them.

Cocaine is illegal, and yet even high profile people in Hollywood seem to be able to get an ample supply.

Laws do nothing.

If someone wants something they will get it, regardless of how many laws are in place.

You will see 18 year old freshmen college students selling Grand Theft Auto X to school yard kids much as they do booze and cigarettes.

Kids will either trust and obey the rules their parents set forth, or break them completely...no law will stop them.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Anyone at any age, if u look the age can pass to get games, cigs, booze, etc. You just got 2 know the right place. I know a few liquor stores that sell booze n cigs to underage kids. Its how the business makes money. A lot more money then your average adults. As many have stated, laws can be in place, but everyone in the U.S knows these laws are like walls, yet every now and then you can break the wall and get away with it because the wall is ok with you breaking it down(Store associate)In the end its all about money. More money, better.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Given how successful the omnibus crime bill (with its midnight basketball) was at eliminating violent crime in the US, preventing kids from blasting virtual aliens and other googlies into oblivion will undoubtedly turn us into the utopian paradise that these facists envision!

G

perhaps if this were some sort of utopian society we would have time to worry about the various ways we entertain ourselves when we're bored. last i checked, we are not. we have criminals in the white house who have bogged us down in a war of choice. we have a tanking economy. education is getting worse not better. it goes on and on really. and politicians have the audacity to waste time and money on video games?! really? is that really the problem? video games?

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is absolutely STUPID. Don't they realize that usually the parents of the children buying M-rated games are RIGHT WITH THEM WHEN THEY ARE BUYING THEM!
How is this going to solve anything? Answer: It isn't, because most SANE people like myself know that there is no negative connection between playing violent video games and violence in real life.
In fact, the only connection I have seen is POSITIVE, where a person who plays a violent video game and gets rid of their negative impulses in that game, don't use them in reality.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is absolutely STUPID. Don't they realize that usually the parents of the children buying M-rated games are RIGHT WITH THEM WHEN THEY ARE BUYING THEM!
How is this going to solve anything? Answer: It isn't, because most SANE people like myself know that there is no negative connection between playing violent video games and violence in real life.
In fact, the only connection I have seen is POSITIVE, where a person who plays a violent video game and gets rid of their negative impulses in that game, don't use them in reality.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Sorry for the triple posting.... stupid Firefox, which I used to post the above message, kept on telling me that "The page cannot be found!", making me think it wasn't posting my message.

jqk

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
There is no harm in having this. For the people and parents that don't believe media effects the child this bill won't stop them from creating a couple more issues for the general public (its ok to steal cheat and kill so lets make it fun)cough! Christopher1 cough!. As for the children going to buy a mature game without a parent this would be a great law to assist a active parent who has these rules in house.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Take GTA4 for example. Let's say I beat a hooker to death with a baseball bat and someone sees it. Now I have a 1 star rating and the cops start chasing me. I beat the hooker on a whim and didn't really plan my next course of action. Sure enough, there wasn't a car within range to jack so I had to kill the cops to take the car. Now my star rating has gone up again. There's a helicopter with a machine gun shooting at me. I'm driving pretty erratically because the damn helicopter is shooting at me and I start running over innocent bystanders on the sidewalks. Well not only does this cause my start rating to go up again, now I'm really in trouble, but it also starts to damage my car more than necessary and my engine starts to smoke. I know I have to ditch the car and I can't jump out here so I start heading for an underpass so the helicopter can't take me out. I make it to the underpass, but I'm driving a little too fast and hit a bump and roll my car over. I'm trying to turn my wheel back and forth and driving in forward and reverse trying to roll my car over to no avail and this has given the cops that I didn't kill time to park there cars and get out and start shooting at my car. It hits me that my car is really smoking bad at this point and I have to get out in a hurry before the car blows up and kills me. I exit the car with the triangle button and .... damn, there was a cop right there next to my car and I'm busted. Now I have to go to jail and I lose all of my guns and most of my cash.

The point of the story is education. How are kids going to know that they're supposed to beat a hooker to death with a baseball bat in an area when no when can see them so that they don't get a star? How are they going to learn to jack a new car when the old one starts smoking so that they don't get blown up in their car and have to go to the hospital and lose money?

G

If the law passes, will they fine the parent(s) for letting their under aged child or children playing these games? There are allot of of under aged kids playing these games on Xbox live as we speak.

Most kids know more about video games & computers then their parents will ever know & they think that the V-Chip or some game settings will prevent this from ever happening....Get real!

I bet the sponsors behind this bill don't even know how to enable the
V-Chip protection on their TV's..

This proposal is absurd!

KaiserZr

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I personally believe this law is a waste of time. No matter what I believe, it doesn't change the fact that if someone wants wants something, 99% of the time, they will get it. I believe that parents should look at the games that their kids play, whether or not it is the sole reason for teenage violence (which it isn't, but it does have an effect). There is a long list of reasons why kids become violence (lack of parental guidance, no positive mentor, their surroundings promote violence as the only solution, etc...)

In the end this law will not work (like most laws, since those that are needed can't even be enforced properly) and is a waste of time. The government should invest their time in find a solution to getting families together, instead.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Actually, KaiserZr, the only legitimate studies that have been done have shown that it does NOT have an effect at all. None in the slightest.

For *bleeps* sake..... the people who are 'violent' in our society today are CONSERVATIVE people by and large, who are NOT PLAYING THESE GAMES! That is just a fact that even my conservative aunt had to admit when we were arguing about this.

The bigger problem is that people are not teaching their children that violence is okay in fantasy but NOT in real life. The biggest issue, however, is that most of the people who are violent in real life have SEEN violence done to others in real life or have had it done to themselves by parents or strangers.
If there was some way to prevent that, then we would finally see the rates of violence in society go DOWN, because we would break that 'cycle of violence'.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If it's potential hazardous to my child either physically or mentally influentially, I'd just as soon be the one to make the purchase and decide if it's ok for my kid. I for one am GLAD they are cracking down and limiting what my child can and can't buy. Until my kid is 18, I make the decisions as to what is ok and not ok for them. Store clerks and software developers are not the ones I want to make decisions when it comes to raising my child. While I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't do, it's fine that they allow me, an ADULT, the FREEDOM to make decisions for my family. I appreciate this kind of legislature Uncle Sam. It's one of your few well-thought out ones.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If it's potential hazardous to my child either physically or mentally influentially, I'd just as soon be the one to make the purchase and decide if it's ok for my kid. I for one am GLAD they are cracking down and limiting what my child can and can't buy. Until my kid is 18, I make the decisions as to what is ok and not ok for them. Store clerks and software developers are not the ones I want to make decisions when it comes to raising my child. While I don't want the government telling me what I can and can't do, it's fine that they allow me, an ADULT, the FREEDOM to make decisions for my family. I appreciate this kind of legislature Uncle Sam. It's one of your few well-thought out ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.