Protecting the user account passwords from getting hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony322

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I would like to know how safe are the passwords for our accounts in the apps and different social medias and services. Recently, one of my friends who is running a fruit shop got his facebook page hacked. I am hearing numerous cases of identity theft and server hackings in the news.

What preventive measures should be taken for the security? While I was browsing for some answers, I also read about some tips like using random letters and numbers in upper and lower cases can make it hard for the hackers to break it. https://www.campisilaw.ca/blog/password-safe-might-vulnerable-think/ Like, using the first letters of a phrase or song.

But, this is only going to give more time to hack, It is not a hackproof password. What should I do to prevent such attacks on my social media pages and accounts?

Solution
The general concept is to make the password hard to guess. Yes: the password should be a mix of letters, numbers, special characters, etc..

The length and construction varies with what is permitted/required by the host site. Some sites require regular changes and the change must be quite different from the previous password or passwords.

[Sidebar: tends to be problematic when the host site keeps rejecting passwords without some information regarding the expected format/requirements. However, stating the expectations/requirements does become a liability in that it tells the bad guys something about what is required for the necessary password. On the other hand, a bad guy only needs to keep trying to create his or her own password...
The general concept is to make the password hard to guess. Yes: the password should be a mix of letters, numbers, special characters, etc..

The length and construction varies with what is permitted/required by the host site. Some sites require regular changes and the change must be quite different from the previous password or passwords.

[Sidebar: tends to be problematic when the host site keeps rejecting passwords without some information regarding the expected format/requirements. However, stating the expectations/requirements does become a liability in that it tells the bad guys something about what is required for the necessary password. On the other hand, a bad guy only needs to keep trying to create his or her own password to find out what the required format is.....]

The password should not be some recognizable letters of a phrase or song.

Overall, most websites will refuse entry after some number of failed password attempts; hopefully, just two or three....

So to prevent attacks make the passwords as complicated as possible and do not store them on your system.

Your friend may have been a victim of some other hacking scheme: phishing, interception, de-cryption. Difficult to determine.

Make the password complicated and then change it from time to time.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.