Protoype iPhone 5 Has Slide-Out Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I'd be much moe excited for a slide out gamepad than a keyboard. I like the iDevices as gaming platforms, but touch screen sometimes doesn't cut it.

I doubt either are likely to see the light though. Apple would have to admit they were wrong.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i wouldn't say it's a step backward, but it def isn't APPLE's style...

... as much as i hate them, their designs are amazing, and they are leading the tablet and phone race. when they reveal something, it's always at the top, the rest of the industry plays catchup for the rest of the year

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i wouldn't say it's a step backward, but it def isn't APPLE's style...... as much as i hate them, their designs are amazing, and they are leading the tablet and phone race. when they reveal something, it's always at the top, the rest of the industry plays catchup for the rest of the year[/citation]

not necessarily true, they just reveal stuff with great PR and they do it before anyone else.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
BUT, if Apple want to break into the business market with the iPhone (again) they'll have to go all Crackberry and give people a real keyboard.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I bet Apple spreads half the rumors about the iPhone 5 themselves to prevent actually leaked information from being identified as such.

An iPhone with a physical keyboard seems extremely unlikely.

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]not necessarily true, they just reveal stuff with great PR and they do it before anyone else.[/citation]
i would only agree with half of that. yes they have great PR that is what they really excell at and what makes them do so well. but as for doing it before anyone else i cant think of anything they have done that is frist to market, sure they have succeded where no one before them have which gives the impression they are first

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]not necessarily true, they just reveal stuff with great PR and they do it before anyone else.[/citation]

Really Cupcake?

I love how people like to rewrite history to make themselves feel better...

Let's see... Years ago when Android was still a great idea at Google, not even in the womb, and Blackberries ruled the world alongside Palms - you know - you've seen them in the museums: Apple introduced the iPhone. The closest comparable phone in the US was the Nokia N95 that could be used in place of a brick, and lasted approximately 12 minutes when you powered it up. Apple had a touch screen interface that was like the Starship Enterprise compared to Palm's "Atari Pong" interface. The Blackberry's "interface" wasn’t even touch screen... About a year later Apple added an app store, Palm had tried and miserably failed to do the same earlier - Guess what? Apple's app store was such a great idea for users and developers that Google made one of their own! If Apple hadn't entered this market, made the benchmark for a smart phone, Google may not have entered, and the phone you and I use would still look like Atari's Pong and last approx. 12 minutes between charges… The only advantage was women could use it in self-defense by throwing it at their attacker…

I love capitalism… May the best one win!

G

If iPhone 5 will have a bigger 4" screen, why not add the 'superior camera' to that phone' to enjoy the newly improved pictures on its newly enlarged 4' screen?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Who knows, maybe Apple will offer various version of the next iPhone - one with touchscreen only, and another with slide-out keyboard. That doesn't seem to be in Apple tradition, however. They're not about usability first - they're about looks first.

G

considering the debacle surrounding the iPhone 4 reveal i think apple throwing around multiple prototypes is mostly just smoke and mirrors, in reality apple products are work in progress, the next version will always be an incremental update to the previous version, once they have a winning formula that rarely ever deviate form it.... that's what apple calls innovation

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Really Cupcake?I love how people like to rewrite history to make themselves feel better...Let's see... Years ago when Android was still a great idea at Google, not even in the womb, and Blackberries ruled the world alongside Palms - you know - you've seen them in the museums: Apple introduced the iPhone. The closest comparable phone in the US was the Nokia N95 that could be used in place of a brick, and lasted approximately 12 minutes when you powered it up. Apple had a touch screen interface that was like the Starship Enterprise compared to Palm's "Atari Pong" interface. The Blackberry's "interface" wasn’t even touch screen... About a year later Apple added an app store, Palm had tried and miserably failed to do the same earlier - Guess what? Apple's app store was such a great idea for users and developers that Google made one of their own! If Apple hadn't entered this market, made the benchmark for a smart phone, Google may not have entered, and the phone you and I use would still look like Atari's Pong and last approx. 12 minutes between charges… The only advantage was women could use it in self-defense by throwing it at their attacker…I love capitalism… May the best one win![/citation]
Actually that very same year AT&T released the Tilt WM6 phone. That's not catch up, but a first as well. The Tilt had GPS, WiFi, tethering, cut&paste, touch screen, pull out keyboard, tilt screen, a touch pad just to name a few. Well ahead of the iPhone!

The first touchscreen phone was the IBM Simon, launched in 1992. During this decade the popular iPaq (not made by Apple by the way) was launched with touchscreens and optional phone attachments. HTC, the leader in touchscreen phones up until the iPhone and makers of phones like the Nexus One launched their first touchscreen phone, the HTC Wallaby aka XDA in 2002.

But I agree what really put the iPhone on the map was the app store, a fantastic PR gimmick that took off. And that is where the iPhone legacy lies, not in its hardware, but it's apps.

G

It would be great if it could run Flash and have an microSD slot, until then my next device will need to be something else (Android maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.