Proview's Lawsuit Over The iPad Name Expands to US Courts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Well originally I thought Proview was trying it on, but now it seems that Apple really went through a charade creating a company called IP Application Development Limited. Certainly I don't think iPad shipments should be stopped, but certainly Apple need to hold their hand up and be ready to part with some money for their deception.

G

Apple could always threaten China: "If you don't f@*! off, we will export manufacture jobs to some other country that worships us!" I wonder what would Steve Jobs do?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Wow Apple, you guys were assholes even over the iPad name before you owned it. Bought it under some seriously questionable circumstances too. Hope that Apple loses this one here in the USA. Would be nice to see something that allows me to have at least some measure of faith in the corporate legal systems.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bunnywanny[/nom]Apple could always threaten China: "If you don't f@*! off, we will export manufacture jobs to some other country that worships us!" I wonder what would Steve Jobs do?[/citation]
your reading it wrong?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Look at all the sharks (haters) circling around thinking they smell blood.

Nothing will come of this. Apple did nothing illegal. Imagine a real estate agent negotiating to buy a house on behalf of a celebrity. They don't need to tell the seller who's buying the house. All they need to do is agree on a price and finish the transaction.

This is common in business. Proview will get nowhere. They are a bankrupt company grasping at straws to extort money from Apple. They thought Apple would cave in and pay up, but they were wrong.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I agree-- it sounds like they are saying, "We'd sell the rights to our name for $20k to a small company, but Apple has to pay $20m."

If that is the mindset of these companies, then any large company is stupid if they don't hire out for these kinds of negotiations.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
@ericburnby But on the other hand, I'm sure you'll feel duped if you knew the interested customer was in fact a football star and you could've sold him a better house for more.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
He was saying that the house OWNER wouldn't know who the buyer was, not the realtor... obviously, the realtor will help the person find a house they want, just like they'd do for any client.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Should Best Buy mark up all of their TVs if Derek Jeter walks in? He can surely afford to spend $500k on a TV that is normally $1k, but I think if they did that, he'd also send in someone to buy the TV for him...

mythostd

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
There is no need for Proview to know who was buying the name, but if IP Application Development Limited did miss represent that the company was not going to compete and that was included in the agreement then there is a problem. It all comes down to the legaleze and none of us have seen the contract. As the saying goes "The Devil is in the Details"

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Apple using deceptive business practices buy lieing about the use of IPAD for a falsely generated company known as IP Application Development? Never, not Apple. Not a $500 billion dollar company with IP practices to remove competitors that think they own the rights to smartphones and tablets. They would never try to look to make more money with deception.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Taxes are a different animal. The US gov't "needs" $3T per year, which is ~$15k per working person. Probably half the people couldn't pay $15k per year and still survive, so they pay between less and nothing. The 'haves' cover their bit.

But, we're not talking about funding a government. We are talking about one company or individual selling a good or service to another company or individual. When you walk into Best Buy, they don't ask for your W2 and then set prices accordingly.

I'm not saying I think that making a fake company and saying the name was for them isn't a deceptive practice -- but in an environment where a company with a name worth $20k is going to sell it to you for 1000x as much based on your income, well there are some deceptive thigns you have to do then.

Status
Not open for further replies.