PS3 New and Old, Fat and Slim Compared

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well not having PS2 compatibility - I will stick with my PS2. Don't want the clutter of two consoles thanks.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Spideriser[/nom]just by a terabyte for $200 dolars and ull be fine[/citation]

I'm pretty sure they can only hold a laptop drive. At least without a saw.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Aesthetically the fat one looks better, but it is too big. However the slim appears to be just as wide so I dunno. Probably would have to see it in person. It sure was a major change when they made the slim ps2, the thing is so tiny you could actually velcro it to the back of your flat panel and it wouldn't fall off. No idea if anyone actually does this, probably not. :)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I like the looks of the slim.

But it looks like SONY won't sell two versions.

Perhaps they'll make a new high end model PS3 that looks like a blu-ray player with a 250~500GB HD.

muharizj

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
It looks disgusting. Like a Cheap fake knockoff that will be soled illegally in South/East Asia. Were the designers brain dead? Look at how good the PS3 looks compared to the slim. For some reason I wouldn't wanna "showcase" the slim in my entertainment room; I'd rather hide it in a cupboard and make people guess what's behind door number #1 instead lol.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Looks cheap, did they forget the clear coat?
For the price cut on the old I might pickup another old version just in case mine breaks.
Power consumption is down, but not that I leave it on 24/7.

Hopefully Sony isn't losing money selling this ugly machine.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]saliwok[/nom]Might have to stop Folding@Home to make sure it does.[/citation]

That thing is still going? Havn't they found a cure for Reality yet?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I was so hoping for a return for ps2 compatibility with the new slim design, but since it looks like an old fat black laptop, I guess il buy a launch edition 60 gig :(

droogle

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
"Regardless whether you have a launch PlayStation 3 will full PS2 backwards compatibility"
^ English or Engrish? :p

Cosmetic changes are OK imo.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I like the small design much better. It's not great looking, but I always thought that the PS3 was too bulky. I doubt I'll ever get one though. I already have a blu-ray drive on my PC, and when my wife lets me spend $300 (or 30,000 yen) I'd rather upgrade to a quad core processor.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I think now that the os install options has been removed people are gonna start looking for the backdoors, and low an behold piracy will prevail.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Not really a dramatic difference.

I liked the PS2 to PS2 slim transition however. The slim version is damned small in comparision to the original.

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I don´t understand how ppl like the original design of PS3! It´s huge and looks like a black brick! It´s one of the mos hideous peices of hardware i´ve ever seen!!! So i´m happy with thie slim design, at least for now, i still have to see it...
I want to buy one with this price drop, but what thicks me off it´s tha lack of PS2 compatibility! All my PS2 games are originals and this is the reward i get for paying them??? Having to keep two consoles to make sure i can play all the games i have??? Really disapointed at Sony...

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]San Pedro[/nom]I like the small design much better. It's not great looking, but I always thought that the PS3 was too bulky. I doubt I'll ever get one though. I already have a blu-ray drive on my PC, and when my wife lets me spend $300 (or 30,000 yen) I'd rather upgrade to a quad core processor.[/citation]

I'm glad I'm single. I waste $1,000 a month on stupid crap that a wife would otherwise be spending on curtains or pillows.

I like the new slim as I hate glossy shiny stuff, but they're selling both for the same price so to each his own.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I like how everyone says the new one looks like a forman grill. Which makes the old one the forman grill deluxe then as it has the same look only bigger and cheaper looking with the shiny silver areas. I could more easily see the grease pan going under the old one with that dumb offset on the base. I like that they made the base on the new one cover more of the bottom.

Seriously though, its all personal taste when it comes to which looks better. I for one like stuff that is more smooth and uncluttered. I think the greatest thing that ever happened with automobiles was the removal of chrome. To this day i still hate cars that have chrome trim. Especially the ones that are all curvy and smooth, then through some crappy chrome tail light buckets in that don't match the rest of the car. Same thing with the original PS3, I think it looks too smooth and curvy to have that ruined with the trim.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]muharizj[/nom]It looks disgusting. Like a Cheap fake knockoff that will be soled illegally in South/East Asia. Were the designers brain dead? Look at how good the PS3 looks compared to the slim. For some reason I wouldn't wanna "showcase" the slim in my entertainment room; I'd rather hide it in a cupboard and make people guess what's behind door number #1 instead lol.[/citation]

the old PS3 is too pricier to make than the slim so everything points to them ditching it save some cash

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
[citation][nom]homerhellboy223[/nom]I prefer the older model. It's like balls, the bigger the longer duration of pleasure. I feel this little piece of cardboard will break faster.[/citation]

wow... just wow

Status
Not open for further replies.