PS3 New and Old, Fat and Slim Compared

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The old one is the jewel of my entertainment center. It looks like something that streams terrabytes of media from my media server, plays games, AND plays back blue rays.

Kinda glad I ponied up for a launch system... tho also glad it's finally coming down in price so I'm not the only one in my circle of friends that has one.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]homerhellboy223[/nom]I prefer the older model. It's like balls, the bigger the longer duration of pleasure. I feel this little piece of cardboard will break faster.[/citation]

I just find that comment amusing, so +1 for you. Hehe. :)

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]false_dmitry_ii[/nom]I'm pretty sure they can only hold a laptop drive. At least without a saw.[/citation]

Just a FYI, there is a WD 1TB 2.5" drive available on the market, but it is scarce currently. The Scorpio Blue WD10TEVT. There is also a 750GB model. I saw the 1TB model on ebay out of the UK.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=685

Don't know how long it will be before those 2 models are available at the egg though. Probably not too long. I suppose 500GB will have to suffice for a few weeks or so, heh.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
If u dont like the PS3 slim's look, then either dont buy it or even better re-spray it to the style that u like.

that is what i did with the old PS1, and i enjoyed it more because i put the effort into making it look like what i wanted.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I like how everyone says the new one looks like a forman grill. Which makes the old one the forman grill deluxe then as it has the same look only bigger and cheaper looking with the shiny silver areas. I could more easily see the grease pan going under the old one with that dumb offset on the base. I like that they made the base on the new one cover more of the bottom. Seriously though, its all personal taste when it comes to which looks better. I for one like stuff that is more smooth and uncluttered. I think the greatest thing that ever happened with automobiles was the removal of chrome. To this day i still hate cars that have chrome trim. Especially the ones that are all curvy and smooth, then through some crappy chrome tail light buckets in that don't match the rest of the car. Same thing with the original PS3, I think it looks too smooth and curvy to have that ruined with the trim.[/citation]

Interesting analogy. I can see your point for cars, but I think the original PS3 is more visually appealing, except for it's bulkiness and weight. :)

G

For everyone concerned with the looks of the new model.. what did you expect? You wanted a price cut! You got it! Get a job!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I hate to be so negative but I always feel like I have to become a bit psychopathic to post anything relative on topics like this when compared to everyone else's comments. But, here it goes... I like the new slim. Sucks they had to get rid of the PS2 compatibility. The end.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]papalarge123[/nom]If u dont like the PS3 slim's look, then either dont buy it or even better re-spray it to the style that u like.that is what i did with the old PS1, and i enjoyed it more because i put the effort into making it look like what i wanted.[/citation]

And void the warranty? No thanks.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]teknic111[/nom]Call me crazy, but I like the old design better.[/citation]
Ya, The black high gloss piano finish look nice with the chrome trim.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
You gotta ask yourself why the $100 price difference? I tell you why Sony is using a cheaper BD player = less compatibility = less reliability!

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]It's far from the result of the PS2 slim model where the size was reduced by at less 75%. I don't think there was any needs for releasing a smaller PS3. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the size of the PS3.[/citation]

That doesn't mean corporate didn't receive complaints over the years, lol. I do admit, the only complaints I ever heard of or read online were the following:

1) Too Expensive
2) Low Availability (primarily during and shortly after the launch)
3) The Removal Of PS2 Compatibility

All complaints and issues aside; I've been advised by friends since the launch to buy a PS3 the very day I am ready to pick up a bluray player for my living room and 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos LCD. It has been coined the "best option" for those wanting a bluray player, as you get the most bang for the buck from what I've been told.

I'm sure I'll end up picking up one some day, probably within the next 12 months. Which model, I don't know. I suppose it depends upon availability at the time. :)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The new PS3 looks cool... a bit cheaper, but modern.

The Standard PS3 looks like futuristic A/V hardware. Its size? Its not much bigger than the 360...

Status
Not open for further replies.