PS3 New and Old, Fat and Slim Compared

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]sixbone[/nom]PS3 was, is and always will be...garbage.[/citation]

Huh? Your proof it was garbage is based on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaht?

- Failed sales? No. Its constantly a year behind Xbox360. The PS3 came out a full year after the 360.

- Hardware failure? No. PS3 is less than 1% vs. about 30% for Xbox360? proof: A lot of 360 owners seem to be buying new versions of a 360 when they come out .

- Sucky games? No. Both have exclusives.

- Can't watch HD movies? No. PS3 can play HD movies and blu-ray. Oh yeah, HD-DVD died... you know, the HD-DVD drive MS sold for $200 that only played movies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I like it. The IBM has already stated they did some physical design changes to the new Cell chip that resulted in speed enhancements to the chip besides making it smaller and more energy efficient too, 65nm to 45nm.
The new matte black finish looks better too. I never liked glossy finishes on my electronic hardware and it is being used everywhere right now. From TVs with shiny black bezels to laptop covers that are finger print magnets, good move on the cosmetics SONY. They still kept the cool touch sensitive buttons for the Blue Ray, I see.
Over all it is a nice improvement, smaller, quieter, cooler running, better colour scheme, all pluses.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Reminds me of a fisher price toy. They could have made the slim look better cosmetically. I mean, even the ps2 slim that came out had me buy one. I like the old design better.

G

i dont own a ps3 im not much a fan of ps3 but if i had a choice id DEFINITELY prefer the old desingn

G

What its not backward compatible? thats well sh!t!!!!! What about GOD OF WAR I & II....this is not on, scrap it!!!

G

The lack of PS2 compatbility still annoys me. It's one the biggest weaknesses of the PS3 in my opinion. Yes I know all the cool little things the PS3 does, but the fact remains that a gaming console is only as good as the games you can play on it. Why in the hell Sony decided to force us to own 2 systems to be able to play it's many great games is beyond me. It's just plain stupid. As for the new design, I have to agree with many others on here....it's flat out ugly and I would imagine less durable in the long run. May still buy one sooner or later, but for now am content with my old PS2 and computer.

G

I think PS3 sales will drop a lot, because I know for a fact that a lot of people bough this PS3 thinking on turning it as a Linux machine. Bad move from sony on a commercial aspect and also image it make no sense at all and plus the new one is really cheap looking.

chronocaster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]I like it. The IBM has already stated they did some physical design changes to the new Cell chip that resulted in speed enhancements to the chip besides making it smaller and more energy efficient too, 65nm to 45nm.The new matte black finish looks better too. I never liked glossy finishes on my electronic hardware and it is being used everywhere right now. From TVs with shiny black bezels to laptop covers that are finger print magnets, good move on the cosmetics SONY. They still kept the cool touch sensitive buttons for the Blue Ray, I see.Over all it is a nice improvement, smaller, quieter, cooler running, better colour scheme, all pluses.[/citation]

ahmmm what you said about the speed enhancement is not true, only the size of cell processor has changed but not the speed. the only thing that they add is the new cooling system and a power draw.

G

to me it's all about backward compatability... i like being able to play my old final fantasy games and battles of dragoon and classic rpg games such as xenosaga and the OG devil may cry games.... clock tower and all those... sounds to me like sony just wants to be able to charge for remakes of the old games into ps3 blueray format such as the god of war I&II to try to sell more, don't you think? I'll keep my old ps3 any time, if it where to get busted i'd rather pay the original $700+ again...

G

Well yea, while the new one may look ugly I want to add here in defense that its also less capable of breaking. For example, the 1st ps2 (fat one) had issues with the disk reader that was fixed in the slim. This time sony has taken the 1st ps3 (fat one) and fixed the YLOD problem in the slim while also making it cheaper and more transportable/space saving as they did with the ps2 series. So before you knock the slim remember.. your Fat one may be next to catch the Yellow Light Of Death. So in conclusion, give me a slim anyday instead of making me spend another 300 bucks every year :)

waackojacko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
to make it smaller they had to make the cooling fan smaller witch means that with the old ps3 you could leave it on all day an it would never overheat but the new one you will be lucky to be able to play it for more than 6 hours before it overheats

G

I also figured out that on the old ps3 you can rotate the ps3 logo but on the slim you can't, probably because you shouldn't stand it vertically even though they sell vertical stands.

G

i fuck hate ps2 its fucking boring.those of u have ps 2 just throw it of bcoz there will be no more new games made for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.