PS4 and student laptop or gaming laptop?

nickm56

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
I am heading to college this fall, and my xbox 360 is getting old. I'm looking to upgrade, but i'm torn on whether to buy a PS4 and a normal laptop or buy a high-end gaming notebook. I've already done extensive research and customized a notebook which is a fangbook evo ax7 100 with these specs:

CPU: AMD A10-5750M Quad-Core Mobile Processor 2.50GHz 4MB Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.50GHz
HDD: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory (G.SKILL)
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile AMD A76M Chipset Mainboard
SOUND: Supreme HD Audio w/ THX True Studio Pro Technology
VIDEO: Mobile AMD Radeon HD R9 M290X 2GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-302)

for 1452$ (including tv and other accessories).
My other option includes a ps4 (retails at $399) and a modest ACER Aspire i've picked out for 469$. i would still need to buy a tv and such. with expensive games and ps plus, it seems like the prices may even out over time.
i figure that while the ps will give me longevity, the laptop is definitely better for gaming, albeit pricey. I would like some opinions on the matter. NOTE: i have ruled out a desktop, as i just don't like the idea of paying that much and being tied down. either the cheap game system or an expensive portable one is what i want. Also note: I will be an engineering major, so i might need my laptop for some programs of that nature. Thanks for any help!

Solution
Get the gaming laptop. I am not here to say that PC is the master race, but listen: If you buy a PS4, you'll be forever limited to the console's graphic capability, but if you get the gaming laptop, you will not only have better graphics, but you will be granted to have good graphics for the rest of this generation among the other common uses of a computer.. And in comparison with the student laptops, a gaming one can perform much better in all activities because it has more powerful hardware, therefore a better resistance to damage..

Lucas Iemini

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Get the gaming laptop. I am not here to say that PC is the master race, but listen: If you buy a PS4, you'll be forever limited to the console's graphic capability, but if you get the gaming laptop, you will not only have better graphics, but you will be granted to have good graphics for the rest of this generation among the other common uses of a computer.. And in comparison with the student laptops, a gaming one can perform much better in all activities because it has more powerful hardware, therefore a better resistance to damage..

Solution

nickm56

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
i would say that i am fairly naive when it comes to the graphics aspect of things. ive never really seen what pc's can do in that arena. in fact, since i use an old fat tv with av cables, when i see my xbox 360 on a hdtv with hdmi connection I am amazed at how good it looks. It would definitely be awesome to be able to game absolutely anywhere on campus for sure (class maybe :p).

nickm56

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
ive been doing some more research, and it seems that the a10 amd processor on that laptop has some problems.. now im faced with a dilemma. Should i go with an i7 instead? i built it and it is about 180$ more with the same stuff. also, i could chop 200$ off by going with the 770m, but then i probably wouldn't to be able to play newer games with ultra settings. But im not sure what ultra settings even look like. but here are my options:

i7 4810mq
R9 M290x
$1555

i7 4810mq
770m
$1310

i7 4810mq
870m
$1636

i7 4810mq
780m
$1661

and finally the
A10 5750m
R9 290x
$1383
i can afford them all, but would rather not spend 300$ more for a minimal performance boost.. any expertise is welcome as i am a noob.. but i am so excited to join the master race after hearing about it for so long

Lucas Iemini

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Well, I use a A-10 5800k in my desktop and I am very happy with it, but if I were you, I would totally get the first option, a bit more expansive but it will be worth it. You will be surprised with the processing capability of an i7 and with the graphics that R9 290x can achive! :)

nickm56

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
thanks so much for your help! i did a final analysis on the 780m and the m290x and the difference is not worth the 100$! i will be buying the fangbook with an i7 and m290x! so excited!

TRENDING THREADS