PS4/Monitor/ Speakers help

TheBroHawk

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
So, I set up my PS4 to a ViewSonic monitor with an HDMI to DVI-D converter. It has no sound so currently I'm playing all the audio through my headset. Today I bought Logitech z313 speakers just so I don't have to wear my headset when I play solo games.The speakers have a 3.5mm cable which I plugged into the back of the monitor, but no sound comes through. Ive searched online for answers and many have said that I need a digital optical audio cable, a digital optical-to-RCA converter, and an RCA-3.5mm male cable. That just seems a bit like overkill for me to get audio to work. I just wanted to know if it was an issue with the settings of my ps4/monitor before I go out and get those things. Anyone have a clue?

Solution
for audio does your monitor have 3.5mm input or is it supposed to be fed by the dvi-d connection? if it has 3.5mm input that would explain no sound. and have you checked if its an input or output? also, you are completely sure that it does have speakers inside it?

now, i know for a fact that dvi-d to hdmi cables can offer sound (despite scores of people who claim otherwise) since i personally use one to connect pc to home theater for audio. i am not sure about the reverse (hdmi to dvi). some pc monitors have 3.5mm inputs for audio since originally dvi did not support sound in the beginning.

assuming getting your monitor working for speakers or headphone output is not possible, you have 3 solutions:

use a 4pole to 3pole...
for audio does your monitor have 3.5mm input or is it supposed to be fed by the dvi-d connection? if it has 3.5mm input that would explain no sound. and have you checked if its an input or output? also, you are completely sure that it does have speakers inside it?

now, i know for a fact that dvi-d to hdmi cables can offer sound (despite scores of people who claim otherwise) since i personally use one to connect pc to home theater for audio. i am not sure about the reverse (hdmi to dvi). some pc monitors have 3.5mm inputs for audio since originally dvi did not support sound in the beginning.

assuming getting your monitor working for speakers or headphone output is not possible, you have 3 solutions:

use a 4pole to 3pole headset adapter and plug the speakers into your ps4 controller for audio.

use a hdmi audio extractor with hdmi passthrough with a rca to 3.5mm adapter for the speakers. *see below

use an optical audio extractor with rca to 3.5mm adapter for the speakers. *see below

*you might be able to find a model which instead of rca output has 3.5mm output in which case you can ignore the adapter cable.

Solution