Solved! PST compare file program exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slippyjim

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I overheard an employee saying that "it doesnt matter cos I've deleted the emails" so obviously I want to know what they have been up to.
The emails are downloaded into Outlook and I have a backup of the pst files that as far as I know haven't been compacted so I'm sure these deleted emails are still in there and I also have a copy of all received emails on gmail so
1) Is there a way to view or recover the emails from the pst file if it hasnt been compacted?
2) Is there a program that can compare 2 pst files and show the difference? The pst files are quite large - around 17GB
I've read about exporting the pst as a csv file and comparing like that but I dont think that will be possible with this file size?

Cheers

Solution
I don't think there is a program which can diff .PST files - they are actually databases. Create new Outlook profile, load both PSTs under different folders, and start comparing. You might purge them (by way of archiving) old messages, once you finish recovering deleted emails.

Where these emails are downloaded from? Do you keep your own mail server? May be the hosting company might help you
I don't think there is a program which can diff .PST files - they are actually databases. Create new Outlook profile, load both PSTs under different folders, and start comparing. You might purge them (by way of archiving) old messages, once you finish recovering deleted emails.

Where these emails are downloaded from? Do you keep your own mail server? May be the hosting company might help you

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
If the psts were smaller (2GB), you could import them into Access and do an easy compare.
17GB, though...

But, that 17GB almost certainly includes attachments. During the import, leave the attachments off.
Compare.

Find the differences, then investigate the specific emails identified.

Then fire him for being an idiot.

slippyjim

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
All the emails are still on gmail.
Thats a good idea about the attachments I will try that and also start with just the emails from this year then work backwards
If I find out what hes done, he's definitely a goner!!! haha

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.