QMobile Now Supports iOS Streaming from NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_pad

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I totally think it's a great idea. It's apps like these and the simplicity of it that make me want to get an iphone.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
It is a pretty cool idea as long as there is a free WiFi hotspot around. Watching this on 3G is going to kill the already limited data plan.

G

So the video on my NAS server - which is already accessible through any of my home computers including the eyefinity gaming rig, my bigscreen TC via HTPC, anyone else's computer/TV that has a net connection, and my laptop and netbook - is now available on my 4 inch iphone screen? Why should I care again?

G

So they want everyone with an iOS device to run their NAS 24/7 to access media instead of copying it over to the device.

Seems like it would waste a lot of energy just so you dont have to spend a couple minutes syncing.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Think its a very good idea, allows you to access your archive around the house without memory limits of the portable device.

offline download is a nice touch too for on the go without having to plug things in and turn on the computer, hopefully the wifi hotspot remote access allows remote download too.

now just need a phone with flac support to go with.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]So they want everyone with an iOS device to run their NAS 24/7 to access media instead of copying it over to the device.Seems like it would waste a lot of energy just so you dont have to spend a couple minutes syncing.[/citation]

Who would ever turn the NAS off in the first place, its a server. And can you sync, oh, lets say 1 terabyte of media to your iPhone? I think not. This is a great idea because even the average user has way more than 16gb of media and with this solution, it is all accessible.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
cool.
I wanted to do something similar.

with android, can you make your own file systems? so that you would be able to do this but make it so ANY app could seamlessly access the files?

also, streaming over 3G? get real. between the new COST and the pitiful performance of 3G...

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Well you can tell who the trollers are. Anyhow, I think its great. I would prefer to stream my music instead of having it on my phone. It gives me more variety in what I want to listen to or watch.

biofrog

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Also, QNAP deserves my thanks for still releasing firmware updates for my aging TS-109 NAS, with a future firmware update planned for September. Nice to see, instead of forcing us into new hardware!

Status
Not open for further replies.