Question Qosmio X500 shutting off

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Laptop powered off unexpectedly when I was about to start a Zoom call. I took it a reputable computer store and after a week they said the motherboard is gone, but since they can't get parts they can't fix. So I followed a video, bought a used motherboard which turned out came from China and changed it myself. They think it may be the graphics card or CPU. As the video shows I have tried various troubleshooting before it shuts down. I am thinking of just ordering a used graphics card if that will fix it. Do you think just buying 2 RAM sticks would fix it?...I tried moving them around and also one at a time. I suspect internal charger is not working since it says battery is working and latest drivers in device manager but on screen says no battery detected. Maybe I should buy an external battery charger but not locally?

Since you tried the RAM sticks one at a time with the same results, it is unlikely the RAM that's the problem. Few laptops have separate graphics cards. Are you sure yours does? Most laptop vendors supply a diagnostic program for testing. I would advise you to get that and run it. If not available, there are programs you can download. One that boots off a USB stick would be preferred as then none of the machine software is running. Did you observe anti-static precautions when you changed the motherboard? Are the symptoms pretty much the same with the old and new motherboard?

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Yes it has a Geforce GTX460M graphics card. Toshiba does not sell these parts new directly any more, nor do they offer tech support but a few sources sell them used but from China, probably from laptops trashed there. Not sure where I would get a diagnostic testing program but can look, though I am afraid the computer will just shut down part way. Windows 7 Troubleshooting works for awhile for earlier restore point though the computer shuts down before the restore is over. The old motherboard had no real problem until it crashed but I suspect the battery has not been charging for awhile....I had it running on power supply directly a lot. I saw no visual damage on old motherboard with a magnifying glass...I wonder how the store was so sure it was even broken though at least the new board did get the power on and screen working, though at first I had to use a HDMI cable to my TV before I took it mostly apart again, checked wiring and connectors. Could it be a short in the graphics card somewhere?

I would have a couple of concerns. Since you are still running Windows 7 which has had no support for a year there are now unpatched security bugs. Not all of these can be caught by anti-virus as there are many security exploits that don't come in as viruses. Also, since you haven't answered my question about anti-static precautions, I assume you didn't take any. This is a common way to break a laptop.

I would still try to run a diagnostic. If you can't get one specific to your machine, a generic one may help but may not test everything well. There are several available on line. Get one that is bootable so all the machine SW is not part of the testing. I would also try reinstalling windows but don't know if you can get an image for Windows 7 anymore. Don't use anything except what you can get from MS as it may be tampered with. You can try to install Win10, but I don't know if that upgrade will still authenticate. I would do a clean install which will delete everything on the disk.

There is nothing you can do with the graphics card. If you order a new one from China and they are cheap, order two. That way you might get a working one. Good luck.

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Thanks for the advice! Sorry, that was a typo about Windows...it actually is Windows 10. Not sure what you mean about the graphics card...are you saying you do not think that is the problem? There is a good video online on how to install it....same one I used for the motherboard. I've browsed some generic diagnostic tools like in Top 5 USB Utilities for PC Repair and Recovery (helpdeskgeek.com) but I'm concerned the computer will just stop working within about 2 minutes. I understand that work needs to be clean anti-static environment. One site I saw a remote charger for sale and wonder if that would work to charge the battery fully and then install it and run off battery. I noticed someone else had said their Cosmio worked well on battery but not on direct power.

I'm glad you are running Win 10! Part of the reason for running a bootable diagnostic is that removes all the resident software from the situation. If the machine runs the diagnostic OK, your problem may be the installd SW. Sorry about the confusion. What I meant was there is no practical way to repair the existing graphics card. If they are not too expensive, that may be an easy swap to try. I would still consider doing a clean reinstall of Win10. It's a major hassle to reinstall and set up everything but I have seen weird problems fixed that way before. You may need to download some drivers from Toshiba but you might not need to.

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
I think I will order that used graphics card, if not too costly, and if it does not fix it I'll have a spare graphics card. Just like the original motherboard...how do I even know it is broken like the computer shop had said?! How would they even had known if they could not even turn the power on? Anyway, an interesting thing I noticed....I saw the battery LED light flicker a bit when moving and noticed that if I lean on that part of the laptop it stayed on continuously. Then when powering on it showed the battery installed and almost fully charged! Anyway, that still did not stop the laptop from shutting after awhile. I tried to run the windows diagnostic tool but it powered off after maybe a minute.

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
I'm also mulling over going into BIOS and trying to change the boot order. However, this might only work if I have another copy of Windows 10 on a stick...ie buy one from a store. Would you advise fooling around in BIOS to those who've never done it? There are some videos online how to do this. I know with F2 I can get the BIOS screen.

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
I'm also mulling over going into BIOS and trying to change the boot order. However, this might only work if I have another copy of Windows 10 on a stick...ie buy one from a store. Would you advise fooling around in BIOS to those who've never done it? There are some videos online how to do this. I know with F2 I can get the BIOS screen.
One more thing. Doesn't it seem odd that if I hold power button for only a few seconds before Windows 10 boots up I get screen "Recovery. It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" with some repair options. The odd thing is that if I push no buttons the laptop does NOT shut down. This seems to be telling me that my problem has do with Windows not loading and not the graphics card. Would you agree? However if I choose "Advanced options" in Troubleshooting and try to do System Restore for a date before the laptop initially crashed the laptop turns off part way. Wired. Should I pick another option ...before buying a graphics card?

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
I'm glad you are running Win 10! Part of the reason for running a bootable diagnostic is that removes all the resident software from the situation. If the machine runs the diagnostic OK, your problem may be the installd SW. Sorry about the confusion. What I meant was there is no practical way to repair the existing graphics card. If they are not too expensive, that may be an easy swap to try. I would still consider doing a clean reinstall of Win10. It's a major hassle to reinstall and set up everything but I have seen weird problems fixed that way before. You may need to download some drivers from Toshiba but you might not need to.
I am currently in process of downloading a copy of Windows 10 onto a flash drive and then will see if I can use that on the broken computer. Do I insert FD and then go into BIOS and change the booting sequence? Even if that works how does that actually fix the Windows installed on the laptop?

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
I am currently in process of downloading a copy of Windows 10 onto a flash drive and then will see if I can use that on the broken computer. Do I insert FD and then go into BIOS and change the booting sequence? Even if that works how does that actually fix the Windows installed on the laptop?
Sadly, my hopeful fix above did not work although I downloaded Windows successfully to flash drive and made that first in BIOS boot sequence. Should I maybe try removing the SS driver from the boot sequence either in Bios or physically taking the drive out of the computer?

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Taking out the SS driver did nothing. Decided in frustration to "reset this PC" but keeping files. So I started the Windows reinstall using the flash drive and about 10 seconds in the computer powers off again . Now when I push power button I just see flicker of Windows screen then just goes into a black screen with a flashing line. Have tried to get pack into Repair screen but it just crashes and turns off. Anybody got any good ideas?

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Making a bootable Windows 10 version on a stick with Rufus didn't work too well so found an expert to help fix. After taking laptop apart again they saw a problem with fan and possibly heat sink.

Qosmiouser

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
This may be a waste of $ but I bought another used MBO from another supplier. Now when I push Power it does not boot but power light and caps lock light flicker on then off, then continuously flickers while also left fan only gently turns on and off. One time it almost booted up with louder fan sound for a few seconds. Could it just a defective fan or short in wire somewhere? Or is the specific cable maybe not giving enough voltage even though the LED lights go on? Or is it worth buying a used graphics card from China, or even just removing the graphics card to just to see if laptop will boot up and power stay on?