Quest Intros 20 Mb/s Fiber Optic Broadband Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

zTargetz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
"In an international view, U.S. broadband services only look decent because of the weak dollar."

what sad times we are in.

yet another reason to vote for Ron Paul (yes, he's still running)

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I was happy with 56k modem in 98, the first in the history of mankind to get on the net within square miles of my location and it did strange things..lo and behold, the 4mbit broadband cable evolved...the first in my area to have to have it again...that one brought ice into the lan card while the machine was 120 degrees.7 destroyed pcs later, the 3mbit dsl, private connection (very important). I am ready anytime now for the billionares to install the 3 dollars in fiber for thier 400000% daily profit. Anytime now. I was the guinea pig. Gimme a deal now. Anytime....and for antisemites racist sakes, when you say view online bill...you better mean it. just a four dollar website for you billionares. and an illegal immigrant to code it for 5 bucks an hour. Some crazy people out there spotting this greed could get you....

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I believe and what I think is broadband or bandwidth access everywhere in this country even in small town America.

I consider the Internet and WWW as one of the most important inventions/creations of my lifetime, and I'm OLD!

I can't imagine living without the Internet/WWW, it's that important to me. I hope there is affordable fiber optic everywhere ASAP.

It's important not just to surf the net or play games. It's vital for commerce, information and the truth.

If I was President, the whole country would be wired right now!

And a P.S., Is there a way to find out exactly which towns all across America are already wired for broadband/cable/fiber, etc. without having to key in every street adress and phone number in the country and calling every provider asking "customer service" (ha ha) where these connections are? In other words, is there a master list of every high speed wired town in America somewhere? And I mean at least 3000 kbps and up. 5000 kbps or 10,000 kbps is even better.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I believe and what I think is broadband or bandwidth access everywhere in this country even in small town America.

I consider the Internet and WWW as one of the most important inventions/creations of my lifetime, and I'm OLD!

I can't imagine living without the Internet/WWW, it's that important to me. I hope there is affordable fiber optic everywhere ASAP.

It's important not just to surf the net or play games. It's vital for commerce, information and the truth.

If I was President, the whole country would be wired right now!

And a P.S., Is there a way to find out exactly which towns all across America are already wired for broadband/cable/fiber, etc. without having to key in every street adress and phone number in the country and calling every provider asking "customer service" (ha ha) where these connections are? In other words, is there a master list of every high speed wired town in America somewhere? And I mean at least 3000 kbps and up. 5000 kbps or 10,000 kbps is even better.

G

Interesting:
The company is offering 12 Mb/s access for $46.99 and 20 Mb/s for $99.99 per month. (should I not get more than 2x the

G

30Mbps Fiber Optic Broadband Internet connection with same speed for download and upload is $170 here in Iceland. Do you think that is to much ?

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
It's pretty funny, I buy stuff off of american sites like I'm in Thailand! Prices at 50-90% off is some crazy shit.
Btw 24mbit is hardly rare in sweden, on cable that is. 5-15ms ping to good servers etc.
So I don't see where fibre is needed for 20mbit.

Fibre up to the basement server for the 100/100 apartments, but not to the outlet.. That doesn't make any sense.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
It's pretty funny, I buy stuff off of american sites like I'm in Thailand! Prices at 50-90% off is some crazy shit.
Btw 24mbit is hardly rare in sweden, on cable that is. 5-15ms ping to good servers etc.
So I don't see where fibre is needed for 20mbit.

Fibre up to the basement server for the 100/100 apartments, but not to the outlet.. That doesn't make any sense.

G

I have AT&T Fiber (U-Verse) and I get 10Mbps at $44/mo. with 2Mbps Upload...

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
50 euro's is $78.50, that's pretty high. I've seen well over 30Mb on a DOCSIS v1 cable modem, and when DOCSIS 3 goes full production, it will be able to go to a theoretical 300Mb. Why waste money on fiber to the residence when HFC (hybrid fiber/coax) that cable companies already have, can provide that kind of speed!

wifi

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
Probably that's the only good thing we have more than most countries here in Portugal. 30Mbs fiber for 60? a month and 24MBs for 40?.

kaleb_zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005
Here in Japan, it depends on where you are, but MOST, and by that I mean the majority of cities here, have 50mbit down, 10mbit up fibre connections for what would be about 40 bucks a month. For a little more where I live, you can get 100mbit down, 22mbit up..

There is a catch though; It's only that fast when connecting to servers IN Japan.

Japanese companies have a way different mentality of conducting business and in general are a lot more comfortable with blowing huge loads of cash up-front for advanced R&D or infrastructure that wont turn a profit for years.. Where as American companies generally are more concerned about the bottom line of the company for CURRENT financial quarter.

G

I was on the Time Warner team that tested the first broadband to the home connection (in the early 90's) and since then I've never looked back to dialup days (what a nightmare). Speed has improved since then, but not as much as I'd have liked. I remember download speeds in the 400KB/s range (about 3-4mb/s) once the early kinks were worked out. These days I can get 900KB/s on a good night (near 10 mb/s).

I'm not complaining though... because I live out in the middle of nowhere these days. I was living in Corning NY when I was on the TW Broadband beta team... and for those who don't know... Corning NY is the home of Corning Inc (where I work), the company that invented Optical Fiber and still has the dominant market position. Now I live in the Finger lakes in a town of a couple hundred, and the fact that I can get broadband AT ALL is pretty amazing.

I think the US companies have done a passable job of deploying broadband even to fairly remote, could be better but could also have been a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.