question about 7-zip

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Is there any way to make 7-zip like winrar such that as I right-click on the file the lists of operations like "Open with Winrar.." , "Extract files here" .... show on the first sight

instead of having to put the cursor further to 7-zip and show another list of options?

Solution
Uncheck this check box:

7-_Zip_Context_Menu_Options.jpg

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I think what you want is to open 7-zip, go into "tools" > "options" and on the "7-zip" tab, uncheck "cascaded context menu", then hit "okay". From that same options page, you can also uncheck any of the items that you don't want cluttering your menu, such as "compress and email" and any of the others that you don't think you'll need.

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

WinZip existed nine years before 7-Zip. Many don't like change (i.e. familiarity with their existing utility) even if another utility is available for free.

There is also Windows' own built-in .zip compression, that you can use, so you don't even need to download a utility.

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Well, technically, until you need to extract something other than a .zip file. : P

Also, Windows built-in extraction can be a bit slow, with some files taking more than twice as long to extract, which can add up to minutes on some large, multi-gigabyte archives.