Question about a Sony KD27FS170

Sep 26, 2018
I want to get rid of cable and put a Roku Express+ on my old Sony. However, there are times when I don't want to stream, just view OTA. So beside the Roku, would I also have to attach a converter box & antenna? And would I have to change the input on the tv settings menu when I don't want to stream? Buying a new tv is not an option, so a clear, simple explanation to this 64 yr. old granny would be greatly appreciated! :)

Sep 26, 2018

OK, thanks for that, but this FS170 has never worked with just an antenna after ota went digital - that's why I had a converter box before I got cable. I also disconnected it from cable to try the antenna I got for the other tv in order to see if it would work because I like it & didn't want to get rid of the cable until I was sure it would work. I was very careful to make sure it was connected in the right place & that the settings in the tv menu were correct, but got nothing but snowy static on every channel I tried regardless of where I positioned the antenna, and I am well within tower range for local stations. The antenna is what I call "rabbit ears 2.0" because there's a switch I can turn on to boost it. Can't use the flat type that goes on the wall because of aluminum windows.

The owners manual for your TV says it does have a digital tuner but it seems to be a very early one that makes select digital on the remote and then enter the actual channel number manually. You save them to favorites manually too.
Newer TVs scan for channels and put them in memory automatically.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W000/W0005290M.pdf
An externally ATSC tuner might be more convenient.

Solution