Question about gaming laptop

lyric89

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
After some deliberation, for the money and my current and future needs I've decided to purchase an Asus ROG g750jm. I'm a travel nurse, so this will work nicely for what I want to do, which is play WoW and skype with my daughter. However, it comes with a 5400 1tb hdd and a standard optical drive.

How hard is it to install a blu ray reader instead of the stock optical drive and how difficult would it be to install a 120gb ssd(for OS and WoW).? Thanks in advance!

lyric89

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014

Is the ssd that I need to get a notebook version, or all they all the same? And is there a special kind of notebook blu ray drive I'd need to get? Maybe specific to the Asus? Thanks for your help!

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
SSD's are 2.5 inches, the same as a notebook drive, it is just a swap and getting windows on the disk. for the Blu-Ray, there should be a model of that comp with a drive, so it is probably best to get one for the machine (if I am incorrect on this please correct me)

lyric89

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014

I'm on google now but can't find a definitive source. Any idea what blu ray drive I should look for? Sorry for all the noob questions!

It's as simple as removing 1 screw from the bottom of the lappy, sliding out the old drive, removing the little bracket on the old drive and screwing it to the new one (1 screw), swapping the bezel from the old to the new, sliding the drive in, and securing it to the laptop with the screw. Here's a link to a BD drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136257

About a 5 minute process.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot to mention this is done with the bottom panel removed (1 more screw).

lyric89

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014

And it's easy to save the OS and WoW onto the SSD even if the SSD is purchased after market? The laptop has 2 available expansions total for HD's

I dunno. I've never dealt with an SSD. That's why I only quoted and answered the part about the Blu-ray drive. Sorry.

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Said drive will not fit shado, the drive cover is not a flat front, but contoured to the notebook -
asus-g750jm-db71-ca-rog-173in-fhd-i7-4700hq-12g-750g1tb-hd.jpg

I would just send ASUS an email inquiring about it, I cannot find the drive online.

Yes, the drive WILL fit, because you swap the cover (otherwise known as a bezel) from the old drive to the new drive. They just snap on. I have done this with 3 different laptops, the most recent being an ASUS G75. Of course, it won't say "Blu-ray" on it, but who cares? :D

EDIT: P.S. You won't find hardly ANY ASUS specific parts online, because for some reason, ASUS doesn't sell them in the U.S.. Except for a very few, such as batteries and ac adapters.

You're very welcome! As far as I know, pretty much all laptop tray loading DVD drives are universal, except for the connector (SATA, PATA IDE etc.), and the height (two different ones). Don't know about slot-load drives, though (which doesn't apply here anyway).