Question About Spam Addresses.

Slipper

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Not sure if this is the right place for this but:-

In the Inbox if you place - not click - on the senders name a drop down box appears that gives you their email address. This is sometimes expressed in the symbols "<.........>" with the email address between them. What does this mean when they have used your email address between these symbols? i.e. used your email address as theirs. Have they accessed your email address somehow? What is going here?

I believe that is essentially just a convenience - in Outlook I can right click the email address between the symbols and be presented a drop down menu to Add the sender as a Contact, Open a Contact Properties, or Open a Contact Card.

Does not work in my Inbox per se. I must open the email to see the bracketed email address and then right click.

What are you using for email?

Slipper

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

It's a Hotmail account.

I had hoped that someone was going to explain these "< >" which are put around the email address, because not all junk mail have them, only, so it seems, the more iffy ones. The thing is they have used my email address in the "< >" which seems a little strange. Some have these "< >" but their own email address is set inside it.

Slipper

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I've now found out that this "< >" is called SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol).....? I don't really understand the blurb on it but it seems to be some kind of standard method. Any thoughts anyone with regards to my OP?