Solved! Questions about downloading a zip file - virus/malware

Apr 19, 2018
A friend is sending me a software zip file. Supposedly it's a clean copy. I am not sure how much I trust the person. How difficult is it to add in a tracker, spyware or malware to the file so that she reads all of what i'm doing. Obviously i'm a novice user. Is something like this difficult to do?
Also, will a scan of the file before I download it help? With Virus Total? And if the copy is not exactly legit, should I avoid running it through a scanner such as this?

Solution
windows defender usually automatically scan the file if you enable it, or just right click on the zip file and choose what software to scan your file(s). also usually virus will be active on your pc if you run some kind of software or app that contains virus

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
windows defender usually automatically scan the file if you enable it, or just right click on the zip file and choose what software to scan your file(s). also usually virus will be active on your pc if you run some kind of software or app that contains virus

Solution
Apr 19, 2018

I don't necessarily think she would put a virus in. I'm just wondering how easily/possible it would be to include a tracker to see what sites i'm visiting. Is that possible/easy to do?
Will running it through Virus Total or my own anti virus software help?
Thanks again for your reply!!
So glad I discovered this forum! I just moved from Chrome to Windows and I don't know why I didn't come back sooner..