Quick battery question

howdoweplaythis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
i've recently purchased an ASUS 1005p with a 6 cell lion battery. i've always been told that when the battery is on 100% charge, i should never use the power cord at the same time, and that if i want to use the AC power cord, i should remove the battery. I find it rather inconvenient having to take the battery out whenever i use the power cord, so i did a bit of research and i couldnt come up with a conclusive answer. so my question is whether this is actually true.

thank you

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
It has been a preventive measure to remove the battery when you aren't charging it. This would prevent overcharging. Most likely, there would still be some current that runs through the battery from time to time. We had an occurrence here in the office wherein the battery exploded out of the blue while the laptop is plugged in to AC.

Plus, by doing that, you could even prolong your battery life a little bit more.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
well in the long run if you are not using the battery it is best for the battery to remain at about 50% in a cool environment to prolong its lifetime.

at that charge it will lose about 1-2 % capacity per year.

if it is at 100% charge sitting still not being used then it will lose a lot more capacity per year

So if you constantly take your laptop everywhere then it does not matter much, because charging and discharging is more harming to it than sitting still. It will not have much of an impact.

if you leave your laptop sitting on your desk for long periods of time and do not use the battery (long = 3-6 months or more) then it is best to leave the battery at a 40% charge in a closet.

all good?

btw, avoid complete discharges as much as possible. They are most harming.
with new batteries discharge completely about 2-3 times to get the longest lifetime out of them, then avoid complete discharges.

completely discharge about once every 30 times you use the battery to make sure that the battery meter is calibrated properly (little battery icon in taskbar)

happy?