Quick Looks: HTC Incredible and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Definitely correct about the Samsung XL2370 not being a monitor for professional photography. What surprised me was the mention of using hardware and color calibration software. I almost never see it mentioned other than for professional use.

G

With the incredible if you want more apps on the home screen, swipe left or right and you'll find more screens (3 on each side, 7 total). Like on every other android phone ever. I love how you made the weather widget, which everyone I've talked to absolutely loves, into a negative. Good Job!
This way, you can organize all your apps however you want, and also have them alphabetized in the app-drawer.
Oh and also you can put widgets on the home screen, like say to turn wifi/gps/bluetooth off and on. Make your iPhone do that. I'll wait.

As a side note, '+' is a valid character for email addresses, please fix your parser.

Tek-Mage

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
HTC Incredible review is quite lacking experience with the Android GUI, understood that many from a "censored" iPhone environment some market experiences may vary. In personal experience having used a droid for 6+ months, coming across maybe 4 apps (out of 80+ installed), that did not work is amazing considering the variation in hardware and OS forward compatibility. Maybe the reviewer should have read http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/160-Android-Smartphone-Tips-Tricks.html before the review. Reading it felt akin to reading a vodka drinker's review on a bottle of wine.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Instead of getting a pentax, why wouldn't you get a Nikon d40 or d40x? Its light has a 1/500 shutter speed. Which is better than your d300. Its extremely light, and takes unbelievable pictures. I would say on par with the d300 minus some pixels. Also it would work with all your lenses that you have for your d300. I would like to see a review of this camera against other slr's.

rstran

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
cellphone cameras are never awesome, imho. 8 mp or not, they usually don't take very good photos. Hope I'm wrong! A good sensor would drive the cost of the phone upppp

darkwingz24

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
As devnull3 mentioned the home screen is the best feature of Android and win7 based phones. 90% of the time when I use my phone I check mail, the weather, call someone, send a text message, check/make appointments in calendar or load the web browser. Even without a home page to 'clutter' things that's less than 8 things I need on a regular basis. So a home screen that shows me the weather, my upcoming appointments, recent mail and buttons to load web, call and send text messages saves me from loading 6 apps every time I turn on my phone. Now that's more efficient and convenient. And you can customize your home screen to suit your tastes.

G

Another good point to make in reference to the writer's dislike of the time and weather on the screen, this can be changed to be a smaller item or even removed completely. I really think that once he spends the time to actually play with the phone, he'll realize ALL the superior benefits of the Incredible vs. the iphone.

G

I think a bit more exploring is due on the HTC Incredible. Several things to note: 1) the home page is an excellent design for even heavy users like me as it puts everything most people need most often at ones fingertips; 2) with a flip of the finger from this home page you have quick access to 6 additional pages of links to apps that you can add (rarely requiring you to ever use the all applications button to which you refer); 3) also, clicking on the home button at the bottom left while on the home page brings up all 7 pages from which you can choose one, and also a long click on this home button brings up the last 6 apps you were using (or are using, as you can easily multitask); 4) in my first 9 days with the phone I have downloaded 75 apps, and I have had no problems with any of them--I do read reviews first, however; 5) the openness of the Android apps market goes well with openness of the Android experience, including the ever-expanding variety of the hardware available, and this results in more choice and less cookie cutter experiences for the smartphone public; 6) for many of us, our smartphone has become our second or third computer and we don't mind having to explore a bit along the way (the way you feel about your PC), and I feel it is better to produce more astute users than certain other models that seem to be producing robots without even the ability to change batteries or memory cards or to have much access to an overly proprietary software and hardware experience; 7) the images from the 8MP camera are comparable to a number of point and shoots currently on the market and a big plus to the overall experience of the phone, as is the audio (whether through the delivered FM Radio or Music Player or via Pandora radio or Doubletwist, which organizes and handles your iTunes music much like iTunes does); 8) it is true that, like any smartphone, the HTC Incredible churns through battery, especially if you multitask on it like I do (I am currently listening to Pandora while typing this response in 3banana Notes on my phone and of course have two email systems live as well as the Facebook app and two browsers open and the Newsroom RSSFeed app open) and with the amazingly fast 1 GHz Snapdragon processor making it all happen in a flash; however, you can have a backup battery charging (not in the phone) in a charger from Seidio and of course you are able to replace it on your own when your first battery dies from constant use throughout the day. The HTC Incredible really does deserve its name. As a heavy smartphone user for the past 4 years, I really do believe there is no better phone on the market at this time.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
chasscidmore hit nail on the head completely. Your coverage of the HTC device was poor. If my country girl friend(little to no tech exp) can pic up the Motorola droid and use it easily.

Image what impression the incredible will have. Which is hands down better and well polished. I've downloaded tons of apps from the market place. Perhaps the write of the article is incompetent enough to need a apple to choose for him.

goodtimes_00

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Wow... Just wow!!! Recently making the switch from the iPhone to the Motorola Droid and finally to the Droid Incredible leaves me which much more experience that this reviewer.

#1 - The iPhone has not a single thing on the Droid Incredible. The Incredible's home screen and every screen for that matter is "CUSTOMIZABLE". I don't think the reviewer knew this. If he didn't like the weather widget, all he had to do was long press on it and move it to the trash!

#2 - I have only had 1 app out of over 100 not work for me. That was on the Motorola Droid with Android 2.0.1. We are now at 2.1, and Android 2.2 is about a month away, at least for the Nexus One. Those of us with the Incredible will have to wait until HTC integrates 2.2 to work with HTC Sense.

#3 - There are different themes (launchers) which you can download and install from the market. I suggest giving the Home++ theme a try if you don't like HTC Sense. That is the one I am currently using and don't plan on going back to HTC Sense anytime soon.

#4 - The battery life is subpar on the Incredible. One thing a user can do to mitigate this would be to only have Wifi and/or GPS enabled when they are actually using it! Put the "power control" widget on one of your screens for an easy one touch on/off for GPU, WIFI, Bluetooth, SYNC and Screen Brightness levels. Also, using a task killer is a must IMHO. It will ensure that the apps won't be running in the background using your precious battery resources throughout the day. Another thing you can do is only use the brightest screen setting when you actually need it. Lastly, you can buy the Seido 1750MaV battery for ~$45 which some users are saying GREATLY improves their battery life.

#5 - YOU SHOULD HAVE QUOTE "PLAYED AROUND" WITH THE INCREDIBLE MORE BEFORE WRITING THE "ONLY" NEGATIVE TONED REVIEW ON THE PLANET ABOUT THE PHONE!

#6 - How much did Apple pay you to write this review? Heck, even CNET just did a competition between the iPhone 3GS and the Droid Incredible, and they actually put the Incredible over the iPhone! That is pretty crazy seeming they are very biased towards Apple at CNET.

#7 - The Droid Incredible is on Verizon's network! The iPhone is on AT&T's network. This alone is one of the biggest selling points of the phone! When I had the iPhone, I had to deal with constant dropped and missed called due to the UNACCEPTABLE reception. I travel all around the country for my job, and the poor reception followed me wherever I went!

sagem

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
The reviewer used a Mac Mini to write his review and was clearly within the Reality Distorson Field :) hence his Iphone bias.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Definitely correct about the Samsung XL2370 not being a monitor for professional photography. What surprised me was the mention of using hardware and color calibration software. I almost never see it mentioned other than for professional use.[/citation]

Nobody should ever use a TN panel for photo editing... or any visual editing for that matter past basic patch-ups.

That said, this monitor looks good on paper, I just haven't found it in stores yet :-/

G

K-x is 2 classes over Nikon D40x.

the D40 is a good camera but quite outdated ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS