Radeon HD 6950 shader unlock instructions

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emperor0013

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
THANK YOU, bystander! Successful unlock here with a MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II 2gb. I now have the full 1536 shaders without issue so far.

I have a few questions though:

1- This card is stock 810 MHz / 1250 MHz clocks. In both CCC and MSI Afterburner, it won't let me overclock past 840/1325. Is there a way to surpass this cap?

2- I can't adjust the Power Control Settings slider in CCC. The other options are adjustable, but when I move the slider for the power, it won't let me click "apply". The apply button lights up, registering that I made a change to the power setting, but when I click it, it remains lit up and no changes are made. Wtf?

3- On a similar note, should I even increase the power control setting at all? Or only if I overclock? Should I just leave the clocks/power setting where they are and be happy with just the shaders?

4- My 3dMark11 score was a little lower post-unlock. Why?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

It's awesome that your MSI tf II unlocked. Now there are two options here:
1) you can follow the link on my 2nd post of the thread, which will give a link to a special bios designed by MSI to not only unlock the shaders, but will unlock the OC limits.

2) You can unlock MSI afterburners by altering it's .ini file.
This might not be the most up to date syntax, I know the beta has different syntax: http://www.overclock.net/t/677696/how-to-unlock-msi-afterburner
This is the directions for the beta version: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182403

I'm unsure about the other 2 answers and I don't currently have a 6950/70 in my system to try and figure it out.

emperor0013

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Such a fast response! You are incredible.

So I went with the first method you listed, except instead of booting from a flashdrive as the guide suggested, I used the method in steps 10-13 of your original post using the bios downloaded from their guide. Worked great. MSI Afterburner now recognizes it as a twin frozr III PE.

Default clocks are now 850/1300, with a maximum setting of 1300/1800. Also, my Power Control Setting is now alterable in CCC. Everything seems to be perfect. Onto the extensive benchmarking...

Thanks again, bystander.

Edit: So I clocked it to stock 6970 specs: 880/1375. I also bumped up the power 10%. After almost 20 minutes in Furmark at 1920x1080, it reached a maximum temp of 84 degrees C, with no artifacts. My case is kind of a joke, and I have the side of it off at the moment. When I put a house fan on it during the benchmark, it maxes out at 77 degrees C. I think these numbers would be better with a decent case with nice airflow. I also tested several high-demand games at max settings and most of them couldn't even get the GPU usage to 100%.

This is a massive improvement over what I had, so I might keep the clocks at this level. I read that you typically shouldn't let them run above 80 degrees C, so I think I reached the best "safe" OC for this card. What do you think?

mikenmbr1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

I did every step like you wrote.The system rebooted and shaders did not unlock :( i have SAPPHIRE 100312-3L with dual bios switch.Please help me,i really want to have those shaders unlocked.What could have gone wrong?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Many cards won't unlock anymore. Some have physically cut shaders (likely your problem), others have bios with locks on them.

If everything worked, and your shader count didn't change, you are just unlucky.

mikenmbr1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
hey!!

i have done all the steps from 1 to 14 and the shaders did not unlock.I have sapphire 100312-3L with dual bios switch...
Tried both versions of winflash you posted,no results...Do you have any ideas what could have gone wrong?or what is the problem?
Please help

mikenmbr1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
this word "unlucky" hurts :( this is why i bought this card - to unlock it and go crossfire.Now i think i will just sell it and go back to 560ti's...

reggaemaster

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

same thing happened to me, are equal the versions
it is reasonable that the modified file is different
Anyone know it can be?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The files will be identical except for like 2-4 values that determine the number of shaders that are usable. Everything will read the same as the old except for those values.

riseagainstall

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi

i found this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIV_gQEWqPs
and followed the post by "shinakuma3.
People, this card comes with the 6950 and 6970 bios.:)
If you change the switch position and then look in the gpu-z you will see the shaders unlocked. you don't have to flash anything, just change the switch and encrease the clocks manually.

For me, this is the best card EVER!!!!

i have flipped the switch and GPUZ did say that it was now with 6970 shaders. has anyone else tried this and confirrmed it works for them. and is this safe to do ?

cheers

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I just wanted to report a recent success with my new Twin Frozr II/OC 2GB. I'm not sure on the clock speed so far, I had a crash to desktop with Skyrim but I think that may have just been Skyrim not liking mods I installed. I need to test some more and with other games.

Only issue I'm having is that Afterburner doesn't always like to keep my clock settings and reverting to default. I have this saved as a profile and "apply at start" checked. I haven't messed with the voltage or power control in Overdrive. Would adjusting the max power limits help, or is that something to stay away from unless it's needed?

GPU-Z.gif
[/img]

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
With the twin frozr II's, you can use the special bios I posted in the 2nd post of this thread. With that, you do not need MSI Afterburner, because it unlocks the clocks maximum from within the bios, allowing you to overclock it to how ever high you wish within the CCC. That also allows you to use the power tun feature too.

Zed03

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Wait what? Am I reading this right?

People are flashing the TF III PE edition bios onto the TF II OC? Thats insanity, they use different voltage controllers.

The TF III PE uses triple voltage controller, the TF II OC only uses single voltage.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Interesting. Yes, people are using it without any reports of failure. Perhaps the BIOS is able to handle it either way.

Zed03

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006

This guy here claims he bricked his card:

Just an fyi. As stated the MSI bios for the twin frozr 3 pe will brick your tf2. Or it did brick mine. Bio these are not reference cards they use different voltage regulators for instance and lack a bios switch.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1622205

He comments on non reference card, all of these are non reference, so it sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have a TF II OC I'm about to throw in. emperor0013, can you please confirm if your TF II was OC edition?

emperor0013

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Yes. They both are. Both now read as Twin Frozr III PE.

Zed03

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Ok - thanks for the quick replies. I'll report my results tonight.

emperor0013, another question.

So I clocked it to stock 6970 specs: 880/1375. I also bumped up the power 10%.

By power, do you mean you increased voltage by 10%? What is your voltage in millivolts after the increase (I'm assuming it now matches stock 6970)? Was this necessary to get stable clocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.