RadioShack Kicking Out T-Mobile for Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]People still purchase from Radio Shack? I live near a Frys and Best Buy. I never go to my neighborhood Radio Shack.[/citation]

I don't even live near fry's or best buy and I still don't use radio shack...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I still go to Radio Shack when I'm in a pinch for the things I used to always buy there - A/V cables, adapters, speaker wire, etc. Otherwise, I shop online. Of course, I'm also a bit of a DIY audio hobbyist, so they do get regular business. Best Buy certainly doesn't carry the necessary components to build your own speaker crossovers.

I pretty much despise the "big-box" stores, mostly due to the majority of their staff lacking technical expertise and knowledge.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The name "RadioShack" doesn't really invite most people into the store. Their prices are rarely competitive and most of their stock isn't stuff you'd find at a typical electronics store. They carry a lot of "store brand" and off-brand items that lack the quality most people want or expect. Their "associates" lack the knowledge needed to provide customers with proper advice. For me, I have the choice of going to the mall, or going to a rather questionable area to get to a RadioShack store. So, I get either the inconvenience of having to walk through a shopping mall and fighting with the crowd. Or I can go to a questionable neighborhood and hope someone doesn't break into my car or shoot me while I'm sifting through all the crap nobody wants to find what I need. Maybe if RadioShack were to move into better areas and start carrying items that people are most likely to buy, as well as promoting a better company image, they'd be more attractive to younger customers.

P.S.: Hey RadioShack....AOC TV's are garbage and their "warranty" is even worse. Try selling a brand that actually has quality control and a real warranty!!!

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Verizon seems to be better carier for many interests at times, when interests come to be, but yet AT&T is harder one of interest to find, even though its all around to say???

Otherwise if anything of anything, its once less store with a service, so for service, wha should be expected of it, since it no longer carriers a interest of use anymore? Hard saying.

But of it now though, going to RadioShack for maybe some if not many, can now use Verizon, right? More then before, kinda either way on "ways".

I have slight partial in the issue myself, so im trying to refrain from some use of opinion.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
wow toms, you ever gonna do something about the massive spam flood? just wow, theres 7 on this page and every other article being flooded also!

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Good if you need a quick resistor or such. Used to have a much better selection of electronics, but now they seem be scaling down their niche.[/citation]

Pretty much this. Radio Shack was always a good place to go when you needed specific components to build some device you were working on. That part kinda waned as it tried to become a general electronics retailer, and personally I think that was a bad idea. They really should go back to their roots and start stocking every adapter / connector and component that's commonly used. Then further create a catalog that allows a customer to order any known adapter or component possible.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
yeah true, now its 50% phone section, a big tv and entertainment section, and the little isle for components. Anyway Im surprised they stil havent officially changed the name to The Shack.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I once had a RS employee tell me AT&T service was better because all the customers he met had complaints about Verizon and were switching to AT&T. When I explained to him that, of course, since they only offered AT&T service, that would be the only kind of customer he would meet (unless there are people who would make a special trip to their local RS store just to tell them that they liked their Verizon service and were not planning on switching). He couldn't grasp the concept, and just argued that AT&T was better.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Pretty much this. Radio Shack was always a good place to go when you needed specific components to build some device you were working on. That part kinda waned as it tried to become a general electronics retailer, and personally I think that was a bad idea. They really should go back to their roots and start stocking every adapter / connector and component that's commonly used. Then further create a catalog that allows a customer to order any known adapter or component possible.[/citation]

I concur. Radio Shack was the place to go if you were the DIY audio/radio/electronics person for exactly what you said. Then they tried to change, which was not a bad idea, just they dumped a good portion of what people went to Radio Shack for. It has been a while, but I bet if you walk into one today you will see what I saw the last time I did. The dumb customers are at the front of the store looking at the cheap crap; while the smart ones are in the back cuby area where Radio Shack still has, although getting smaller by the day, all the necessary components to fix or adapt just about anything.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Radio Shack was the place to go if you were the DIY audio/radio/electronics person for exactly what you said.[/citation]
They will have a hard time supporting all 4,300 RS stores with the 17 people who still have a custom discreet electronics hobby.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I remember shopping at Radio Shack for a new connector for my Atari gaming system in the early 90's. I haven't been back since.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]People still purchase from Radio Shack? I live near a Frys and Best Buy. I never go to my neighborhood Radio Shack.[/citation]
yes i still use RadioShack once in a while....you can find some stuff that no other store has...like diodes, capacitors...etc

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]yes i still use RadioShack once in a while....you can find some stuff that no other store has...like diodes, capacitors...etc[/citation]
nvm....i just realised that Fry's has that stuff too, lol.....for some reason i prefer to get it from RadioShack, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.