RAM Issue w/Inspiron 1520, please help.

sasquatch12

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hello,
I just added the CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) to replace the generic 512x2 my brand new Inspiron 1520 came with. I had removed some of the bloatware from my computer already (netscape, aol), only the stuff I knew I could remove. Next I installed new the ram. Everything until this point was going smoothly. A black screen came up notifying me the system recognized the new 2gbs upon booting. It then asked if I wanted to continue (F1) or advance to setup (F2). I chose to continue (F1). The first problem I encounterd was upon loging in the screen flashed a few times. I checked the system info to see it recognized both modules (which it does) and it flashed a few times again. I then rebooted, the bios loaded faster in comparisson to the old ram. The screen flashed once and I ran a few programs simultaneously to test it out. The results were sluggish, things take a while to load and some programs lock up. I figuerd I would try to defrag my system to see if this solves anything. Ive been running disk defragmenter for over 20 minutes now, no idea why it is taking soo long considering I have only loaded about 4 CD's. Another problem I have noticed is the toughscreen icon at the bottom righthand corner which usually displays a little green dot indicating im using the toughpad does not anymore. I have seen a substantial decrease in system performance after the swap from old ram to new. Currently my WIFI is disabled on the laptop because it is not set up in the house yet. Also disabled is bluetooth and I have no antivirus running (or installed). This is my first laptop so any help or insight on the problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need to know anything else let me know. Thankyou.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @1.5 ghz
Memory: 2046mb (CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 PC2 5300)
HD: 80gb SATA
Video Card: 128mb GeForce 8400m GS

sasquatch12

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
1. I dont believe I have a virus because the laptop has not been used on the internet before. So i dont think I could have contracted one.

Now that im thinking about it maybe its because I have all the visualizations enabled for vista?

Thanks lostandwandering, I will try using the old ram tomorrow. Anyone else have any ideas/solutions? ;D