Solved! Random Google Chrome Extensions Keep Installing Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex VanDover

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
My AdBlock Chrome extension stopped working one day, so I reinstalled Google Chrome, and that fixed it. Since then though, about every day a random Chrome extension gets installed without me knowing. Its always some extension that adds a bunch of obtrusive and annoying ads to every website (AdShark, DealFactor, etc.)

I can go to Extensions and remove them, but the next day another one is installed again. I tried enabling Developer Mode for Chrome Extensions, which then shows me the location the extensions were installed from. The weird thing is, the location it gives me doesn't even exist on my computer. I tried finding it manually, nowhere to be found. I copy and pasted the directory, it pops up saying it doesn't exist. I have also run several scans on my computer for malware and such, but it always says my computer is clean. This has been happening for about a week now!

Solution
check the version of chrome installed and if it is the latest version. goto "about google chrome" in the Chrome menu. I had this same issue where i was getting randomly named extensions installed without my knowledge (e.g. red Adblocker, JoniiCCoupOnn and other names that seemed to randomly generate as the extension reappeared). Eventually I found that I had a development version of chrome installed (don't ask me how it got there), which was out of date according to the "about google chrome" page. Automatic updating was disabled. I suspect, but have no evidence, that an installer for a different program had additional bundled software (PUPs) that were installed and possibly corrupted chrome.exe. I ran malwarebytes, adwcleaner, windows...

NJDEN

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
That's really strange... I recommend running the free version of Malware Bytes as it does the best job at identifying viruses and such (in my opinion). If your using multiple anti-virus tools then stop; having more than one anti-virus installed can cause them to become ineffective and fight among themselves.

Maybe look through your installed programs and see if you have anything weird installed like 'Ask Toolbar' or another piece of ad ware that might be enabling it.

Alex VanDover

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014

Malwarebytes is the program I use. It found several things to fix, but the next day I was still getting these random extensions.

NJDEN

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
At this point I would just wipe and reinstall Windows, but that might not be particularly convenient for you. I can guarantee that doing so will most certainly remove your extension problem.

Alleviated Risk

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015

Had the exact same thing happen for the last 1-2 weeks. Updated Malwarebytes, found a couple of things, removed....haven't seen any new extension in chrome so far. Thing is when I noticed this in Chrome, I checked Internet Explorer and they were there as well. Slightly harder to remove from IE. And the fact that both things get bit at the same time...strange to say the least.

And the extension I had that stopped working was noscript. Apparently it has been removed from google extensions, due to not being updated in forever.

ahddib

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I've been getting similar issues. Did you ever find out what was causing it for you?

S3D3

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
I have the exact same problem, It tried resetting chrome and internet explorer but they came back. I uninstalled and re-installed chrome and didn't sigh in, it seems to be working. If it doesn't, i'll let you know. IE is a lot harder since it is now a program on windows 8 and not a feature, I also tried resetting IE but that didn't work. I have given up on IE, if anyone has a solution please help

DerekJPeck

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

I found this same thing happening. What I found is it's because I had SYNC on, and it was re-syncing the removed extensions. In order to remove them from sync and not just the local instance I had to click details, and remove which fully removed them.

This is assuming it's not a malicious extension or installed by a 3rd party app which may require other steps (which are easier to find).

Nauro

Estimable
Jun 14, 2015

I got same problem on Windows 8. My idea, is if someone got rid of this problem by re-installing windows, look for any programs you install that may cause this. Install one by one and see if that program causes these adware extensions to install. Here is a list of programs I have installed at around that time when this problem started, and speculate may be the cause: Flux, VirtualBox, Waterfox, Comodo Dragon, Recursion Tracker, Litecoin wallet, Hamachi, and these program's I can't remove: "National Instruments Software", and "ProcessMonitor". If you have any of these programs, it might be it. Once you have it solved, please post us an answer! =)

chuckD3

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
check the version of chrome installed and if it is the latest version. goto "about google chrome" in the Chrome menu. I had this same issue where i was getting randomly named extensions installed without my knowledge (e.g. red Adblocker, JoniiCCoupOnn and other names that seemed to randomly generate as the extension reappeared). Eventually I found that I had a development version of chrome installed (don't ask me how it got there), which was out of date according to the "about google chrome" page. Automatic updating was disabled. I suspect, but have no evidence, that an installer for a different program had additional bundled software (PUPs) that were installed and possibly corrupted chrome.exe. I ran malwarebytes, adwcleaner, windows defender, and a few others. then I uninstalled chrome, reinstalled from the official google chrome website, and viola - no more extensions.

Solution

Nauro

Estimable
Jun 14, 2015

Thanks for clearing this up for me! =) The thing is, I remember my self trying out the beta version of Chrome, but I have forgotten I used this version a long time ago, and didn't notice. And, since the new update of Comodo Dragon, the extensions stopped installing there as well. Also, today after herdProtect scan, one of the 68 anti-viruses tagged chrome.dll as suspicious, so I got rid of it. Now, it's time for me to solve my laptop Windows updating problem before the deadline of free Windows 10 update! =)

Nauro

Estimable
Jun 14, 2015

What for? P.S: This time update worked. I made sure I had no viruses. First thing in the morning, I started making a recovery. I turned on automatic updates, so it reserved Windows 10 for me without "Windows 10 app" =)

Status
Not open for further replies.