Random shutdown in multiple OSes

iVision

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
Hello,

My laptop random shuts down, this happened in Windows 8, Ubuntu and memtest86+. I have no idea what is causing it but the following is what I've tried:

• Memtest86+

• Ran it with both ram-sticks: Crashed at about 30 min, not sure what test it was
      Stick 1: Completed one pass
      Stick 2: Completed one pass
    Stress Test

• CPU Stressing (+ Memory): Ran fine
      GPU Stressing: Ran fine

I did the stress testing not to test if the components were stable, I only ran it for about 20 minutes each, but to test if it was caused by the termal shutdown. The maximum temperatures were about 80 - 90 celcius.

My laptop has had an RMA three times already, it doesn't seem related to this issue but for completeness: my laptop wasn't able to boot after I modified a setting in the bios, at all the repairs they replaced the motherboard (last time I also had a different CPU; slighty upgraded).
I don't have warranty anymore so I'm hoping I can resolve this problem without sending it back.

Specifications:

• Laptop: Asus N56VM-S4032V
    CPU: Intel i7 3630QM (used to be an 3610 prior last repair)
    Memory: 8 GB
    GPU: Geforce 630M
    Storage: 840 EVO 128 GB + 750GB HDD

Thank you for reading.

Ethanh100

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
there could be some higher level virus effecting all of the os's. Are all you OS's on the same drive, just partitioned? maybe see if malwarebytes detects anything https://www.malwarebytes.org/

planesman22

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

Memtest86+ is a separate memory diagnostic tool that is usually booted off either from a CD or a USB drive. This is an indicator that he is not infected by a High Level Virus. Check to see if you are obstructing your laptop from heat, is the fan running, or if dust have pilled upon your fan intake.

iVision

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

Well I tried stressing the temperatures by stressing the CPU and GPU, and it got warmer then doing my usual work. I also noticed that the laptop doesn't sleep through the night, so it crashes when doing basically nothing.. So I don't think it is the temp or a virus, is it?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Does it go through the whole shutdown process or just randomly die/lose power? If it's the latter then it's probably a power issue. Are you always running off the battery when this occurs, or does it happen with both the battery and when connected to the power adapter? Whenever a shutdown occurs, make note of the exact time of day, when you get it turned back on open event viewer, and look under Windows logs > System and look for events around the time that the power loss occurred. If you see "Event ID 41 - Power Kernel - System has rebooted without cleanly shutting down etc etc etc" then it's most likely a power issue.

iVision

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

Yes it also happens when it is plugged in so it isn't the battery. And indeed Windows report error 41.