Raspberry Pi Speaker System

TheReckoning47

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
i want to go from aux to then split the sound into front and rear or left and right or both, and then go into an amp which will then output to speakers and sub woofer, could anyone suggest how i would go about planning this and what would be recommended? there is also the option of using the hdmi on the raspberry pi if that is the better way to proceed with this

Solution
No this will not work like you are thinking.

Your Aux output has only 2 speakers worth of connections. There is no way to magically make your 2 speaker connections (3 wires) grow into having completely separate connections for 4-6 speakers. All you can do with the Aux is use a splitter to clone the same signal to other speakers.

At the end of the day hackers/modifiers buy the off the shelf equipment because it is not only easier but also more affordable. By the time you throw in the cost of the amps, the converters, the wires, and not to mention a voltage regulator so your fluctuating 12v dc system does not fry your pi you end up spending more money then even a double din touchscreen head unit.

If you are dead-set on using the pi...

TheReckoning47

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

so something like this ?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Dolby-DTS-AC3-Optical-to-Analog-5-1-Stereo-Surround-Audio-Sound-Decoder-/251027680843 the whole system will be in replacement of a car speaker system so i would like to avoid buying a car radio with an aux as the raspberry pi will be the source of the audio

TheReckoning47

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

I might be misunderstood my area of expertise doesnt really cover audio, but the box i linked has inputs of spdif, coax and aux the starting point is from aux and im guessing analogue as its coming out of the raspberry pi

No this will not work like you are thinking.

Your Aux output has only 2 speakers worth of connections. There is no way to magically make your 2 speaker connections (3 wires) grow into having completely separate connections for 4-6 speakers. All you can do with the Aux is use a splitter to clone the same signal to other speakers.

At the end of the day hackers/modifiers buy the off the shelf equipment because it is not only easier but also more affordable. By the time you throw in the cost of the amps, the converters, the wires, and not to mention a voltage regulator so your fluctuating 12v dc system does not fry your pi you end up spending more money then even a double din touchscreen head unit.

If you are dead-set on using the pi for your car audio you have 2 options:
1) You can just use Aux a splitter and some amps if you are perfectly ok with the front and rear having the exact same music.

2) You can use hdmi to get you more audio channels and use a device like what is linked bellow to then convert it to rca to be used as in input for front and rear channel amps.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Decoder-Headphone-VHD-H2HADi/dp/B00L0XIHEC/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1445290454&sr=1-5&keywords=hdmi+5.1+audio
Now with that said, if the audio source is not multi-channel then this setup will only play over the front L and R channel unless you find a software audio codec to push it to the other audio channels.

Solution