Razer Blade Pro VS MSI GS70 Stealth (What to buy?!)

Oliver Fyllgraf

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a new laptop, which I can game to the max and work with editing movies without the biggest rendering times. (Heheh) I'll also be working with music production on the laptop and for school use.
Well, I've been looking at 2 laptops and now I just need to know which is the best for both tasks! I've been looking at reviews on YouTube but I just end up being more confussed about which one to buy:

Razer Blade Pro or MSI GS70 Stealth

Spec comparing, who wins?
Portability, who wins?
Gaming, who wins?
Editing/work, who wins?
Overall, who wins?

UPDATE:
Noise! Which one makes less noise?
Heating! Which one overheats fastest?

Heeelp!~
Oliver Kristensen
(Thanks)

Solution
Hi,

I'm a owner of the Razer Blade Pro and my bother is a owner of the GS70. We've both swapped the units to use and compare to see what is the key difference between the two laptops. Both belongs to a same class of laptop but both are actually very different machine. According to what you want to know, i will give you the thoughts and opinion of both me and my bother.

Spec: GS70 wins. The hard drives space itself wins it for GS70. But if you don't mind carrying an external hard drive with you, i guess it's a tie between the blade pro and the gs70.

Portability: Honestly, its a tie. The GS70 is a hair lighter if you put it on the scales but in real world usage, i don't notice that hair difference.

Gaming: IMO and my brother's...

Indefatigable

Honorable
May 18, 2013
I prefer the Razer, but I don't know if it is $1000 better.

The Razer seems to have better build quality, design, and cooling.

The MSI is lighter, has more options for hardware, and potentially better customer service through resellers.

Rjeeez

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Spec comparing, who wins? The MSI has 16gb ram. the razer has half that.
Portability, who wins? The MSI is thinner and lighter
Gaming, who wins? Its a draw they have the same gpu. tho due to the processor difference the MSI may edge ahead in cpu intensive games.
Editing/work, who wins? The MSI has a i7-4700mq 2.4ghz vs the razer i7-4702hq 2.2 ghz and 16gb ram vs 8gb in the razer so the MSI Wins by a lot.
Overall, who wins? The MSI won 4 out of 4 of your criteria, its also cheaper by £500+ in uk not sure anywhere else but the MSI wins by miles.

Kelvin Yong

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I just bought a msi gs70 stealth, for razer even the design is much better looking but is over price for me. I didnt hesistate to buy msi for a better value or similar specs or design.

Kelvin Yong

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I just bought a msi gs70 stealth, for razer even the design is much better looking but is over price for me. I didnt hesistate to buy msi for a better value or similar specs or design.

Kelvin Yong

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

rimpels

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
When you'll open up the Razer blade you'll find a MSI chassis, so in all cases I'd prefer to stick to MSI anyways, I sure recommend the GS70 Stealth, it's design is sleek and offers more customization (don't forget you only have the green backlit keyboard on the Razer, though all colour options on the MSI).

Overall performances the MSI GS70 wins. (Sorry for linking to another site but this review sums it up: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1817/pg16/msi-gs70-stealth-gaming-laptop-review-conclusion.html )

JamesNg

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Hi,

I'm a owner of the Razer Blade Pro and my bother is a owner of the GS70. We've both swapped the units to use and compare to see what is the key difference between the two laptops. Both belongs to a same class of laptop but both are actually very different machine. According to what you want to know, i will give you the thoughts and opinion of both me and my bother.

Spec: GS70 wins. The hard drives space itself wins it for GS70. But if you don't mind carrying an external hard drive with you, i guess it's a tie between the blade pro and the gs70.

Portability: Honestly, its a tie. The GS70 is a hair lighter if you put it on the scales but in real world usage, i don't notice that hair difference.

Gaming: IMO and my brother's opinion, we have to give it to Razer Blade pro. The keyboard is the key point. While the GS70 has the SteelSeries keyboard, it doesn't feels as solid as the Razer Blade Pro's keyboard.The Blade Pro has a additional reinforcement behind the keyboard which gives it zero flex and it just felt slightly better.

Editing/Work: Once again, we both felt the Razer Blade Pro takes the win. What makes it the winner for us is the Switchblade UI. With special apps dedicated to Maya, Photoshop and other program, it really helps out with work.

Noise: There could be minor differences but in real world usage, we honestly don't feel the difference is big enough to notice. So tie.

Heat: Razer Blade Pro wins. GS70 simply just have a poorer cooling design. It's proven and benchmarks have been made to document this.

Overall: There is no clear winner here. Depending on what you want and what is more important to you, either laptop is a winner. For me is the Razer Blade pro. The reasons are:
1.) I really love that keyboard. How a keyboard feels is really important to me. When i type on the Blade Pro, there is zero flex at all. I'm also not a big fan of multi colored lights so i don't really care if the steelseries keyboard can let me customize the lights to a gazillion colors.
2.) I felt the razer blade pro looks and feels more professional. I wouldn't feel awkward to pull it out in a meeting or appointment with a client. Not to mention, it just feels better build. It's body is 99.9% metal unlike the GS70. An area i would like to point out the the screen lid portion of the chassis. GS70's lid flexes much more than the blade pro. This is also a fact that is documented.
3.) The battery life is slightly longer.
4.) I actually make use of the Switchblade UI for work and for system monitoring. So that is a real plus for me.

Now my brother feels the GS70 is his choice. The reasons are:
1.) He really appreciate the extra storage space on the GS70.
2.) It has more ports. He has a gazillion peripherals and device he hooks up to this laptop.
3.) It's more user upgrade friendly. He like to tinker around with hardware.
4.) It fits more into his budget.

Having said all that, comparing specs on paper is really not a good idea unless you are that kinda person. We buy the laptop to use. So what is important to me is which would feel better to you in real world usage. Which you would feel better using and feel good about. No doubt the Blade Pro is much more expensive than the GS70 but i am willing to fork out that difference because i felt i would feel happier and enjoy using it more that the GS70. Is it a justifiable $$$ difference? To ME, it is. I'd rather pay more for something that i would enjoy using or owning than laying out money just because it's a more "logical" choice. My brother is the entire opposite of me. He feels GS70 is more "logical" choice so he got that. All in all, both laptops are winners in our eyes. Go to a shop and feel the laptops for yourself and then make your decision. Good luck to you!

Solution

Oliver Fyllgraf

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hello JamesNg!

I'm very, VERY satisfied with your answer!
I'm going to use the laptop for studying and working on music, filming and photography projects.
So as what I've seen, GS70 might be a better choice for a little more hardcore gamers which prefer the best specs for the price. But I seem to love the Razer Blade Pro more than the GS70. I've been recommended it since my studies and work... ;p Definitely more than the GS70. So when the Razer Blade Pro will be able to get shipped to Europa. Likely at the end of the year or early 2014, hopefully the specs will get upgraded with a little more hard drive space. ^^
Thanks again everyone, specially you JamesNg!

- Oliver Fyllgraf

SteelRazorBlade

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Your solution was extremely biased, u didn't talk about the design, the blade would kill the gs70 the razer blade has 2.2ghz cpu, but this is the blade pro, which is 2.4ghz, and gaming wise, its not just the cpu and gpu that counts, its also the fact that the blade has the switchblade which is brilliant for macros and shortcuts and when u compared the spec, you only spoke about the RAM

SteelRazorBlade

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Agreed!

Reb00t365

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

U FUCKING RETARD. They both have 4700mq and their thickness is almost the same (<0.1 inches difference). Did U TALK ABOUT COOLING? DID U TALK ABOUT DESIGN ND BATTERY LIFE? WHAT ABOUT THE POWERBRICKS? HAVE NOTHING TO SAY NOW? SO MANY RETARDS AROUND THAT DONT USERDAND A FUCKING THING AND ONLY FIND NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT GREAT PRODUCTS

SteelRazorBlade

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Exactly!

acekto

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Lot's of razer blade lover's in here, but honestly i will choose msi gs70 over razer blade pro overpriced tag! Why? because Msi gs70 is cheaper by a thousands, and by spec's. Msi win's by not that much. So, it's really up to the buyer if u want want to spend way too much money on a piece of laptop then go ahead buy an overpriced razer or just stick with the affordable price msi that both had pretty much the same spec's wise and quality design. i guess if you're rich then buy razer blade, but if you're looking to save money then go for the msi =)

SteelRazorBlade

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

ikr, soz im necro posting

SteelRazorBlade

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

But at the same time the cooling sucks in the MSI and for gaming the blade is a lot better overall, apart from the price of course

polyscient

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
I have had an MSI GS70 for 3 months and the space bar key squeaks and does not register when pressed on the left or right. The Steelseries keyboard is a piece of crap. The rest of the computer is nice so far.

Luckily I was able to fix the space bar after working on it practically all day. One of the keystroke balancing rods was out of its pivot on the right side because the metal loop that forms the pivot was bent inwards. After I fixed that, the key didn't squeak, but it still didn't respond when pressed off-center. The fix was four layers of duct tape in a small square on the bottom of the key where it contacts the rubber button spring. This takes the play out of the key and allows it to engage the button when the space bar is pressed off-center. Now that I have taken the play out of the space bar, I noticed the other keys have a little bit of play in them too. Steelseries should have made the plastic about 0.5mm thicker where the key touches the rubber button spring.

So here are some tips on fixing a squeaky, crappy key if you already bought an MSI GS70. If you haven't, maybe you should consider buying the Razer Blade Pro a little more favorably.

It's best to pry the space bar up starting from the side on one of the back corners. Put some post-it notes over the other keys to avoid scratching them and pry up with a screwdriver. the space bar has balancing rods clipped onto it on the front and back, and two key hinges. That's where the squeaking sound was coming from. The balancing rod clips will release the balancing rods when the rod is pried downward / key pried upward. The key hinges are held onto the keyboard backplane by metal prongs which are not designed to allow the hinge to be pried off or snapped onto the backplane. The hinges should be pried off of the key itself (good luck). The back hinge clips on the key are the ones that can release when the key is pried upwards. The key must then slide back to release from the front hinge clips on the key. Pay attention to how the hinges are in there or you'll be working on the damn thing all day like me.