Razer stealth laptop not properly charging?

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hi, I recently received my Razer stealth laptop and it's great except it won't charge. I've checked the "common sense" things like making sure the outlet works with other devices and making sure each plug is in properly. Sometimes plugging in the charger causes a BSOD. I also noticed if I put up my ear to the AC adapter when it's plugged in I hear a faint electrical noise. Now the laptop ran out of battery soo I can't really do anything further...
EDIT: The BSOD code is 0x000001d3

Solution
Have you used a multi-meter to make sure the AC adapter is putting out the proper voltage and such? If it's not putting out the proper voltage, you'll need that replaced, or you can go get one of those multi-setting ones that may work. The proper voltage, amperage, and polarity for the plug will be on the AC adapter.

If the adapter is putting out the proper voltage, test the laptop with no batter installed. See how that works.
If the laptop isn't working properly with AC plugged in, no battery installed, then you have a bad DC - DC inverter board.
If the laptop works ok with AC plugged in, and no battery installed, you have a bad / shorted battery.

In either of the last 2 instances, you will have to speak to the manufacturer, and get...
Hi,

I would suggest contacting Razer support first for a replacement AC adapter or just replace the whole unit itself since it's new those problem shouldn't happen in the first place. Here are some basic troubleshooting guides that may help in power on.
- First is to do a hard reboot, unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, replug the AC adapter then see if it will turn on.
- If it will not boot up and you're up to opening your laptop to remove the battery please do so then power it on with just the AC adapter connected.
- If it will still not work please proceed with taking it back or replacing it with a new one.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Thank you for your response. One thing I noticed is sometimes I can get the laptop to start charging, but after a few seconds of the battery icon in windows indicating a charge, the computer turns off.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Have you used a multi-meter to make sure the AC adapter is putting out the proper voltage and such? If it's not putting out the proper voltage, you'll need that replaced, or you can go get one of those multi-setting ones that may work. The proper voltage, amperage, and polarity for the plug will be on the AC adapter.

If the adapter is putting out the proper voltage, test the laptop with no batter installed. See how that works.
If the laptop isn't working properly with AC plugged in, no battery installed, then you have a bad DC - DC inverter board.
If the laptop works ok with AC plugged in, and no battery installed, you have a bad / shorted battery.

In either of the last 2 instances, you will have to speak to the manufacturer, and get it fixed hopefully under warranty if possible.
If it's not in warranty, then you really have to decide if the cost of repair is worth it to you, or if you'd be better off replacing the laptop. DC-DC inverter boards are NOT cheap items to replace. I've had to replace a number of them over the years for customers. It's never happened to me personally, but if it ever did on a laptop that was out of warranty, I'd be parting out that laptop on FleaBay or something.

Solution