RCA Charger Draws Electricity from Wi-Fi Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
good, solar sucks anyway. using solar chargers means being in the sun, and who wants to go out there? now i can stay inside more. but i would like to know something, would the amount of wi-fi make a diff? or is it just signal strength?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]rags_20[/nom]But won't the Wi-Fi connection be compromised?[/citation]

nope wifi is not effected as a transmitted signal can have an unlimited number of listeners, as long as they don't broadcast they wont hinder the signal for others.

they need to include this technology in all battery powered devices, it will be sure to increase the run time.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Its pretty frikkin cool me thinks :)

As said, miniaturise the device and design it to be able to pull power from cell/mobile phone towers too, then implement it in mobile phones etc.
Even a tiny charge running day and night would certainly make a huge difference to battery life.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Hmm, Nicola Tesla perfected this technology almost a century ago. He was able to drive a car around New York City from power being transmitted from inside his lab. Just goes to show new technology is not always a new idea.

xrarey

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Yea, Nicola Tesla tried this, but he certainly didn't perfect it. In fact, his setup was so inefficient he was called crazy to even try it. He was almost shunned from the scientific community for it. I'm glad they finally came up with something that is efficient enough to be effective.

G

Hello people?!?!? Anyone really believing this??? This looks like complete snake oil to me. Capacity of a blackberry battery is 1,3Ah x 3V= about 4Wh. 70% charge of this is 2,8Wh. A WiFi signal normally is 0,1W (20dBm) peak power. In reality it is much lower since it is a pulsed signal with a very low duty cycle. Anyway, if you manage to capture 100% of this signal at 100% duty cycle, it will take 28 hours to charge from 30% to 100%. So these bastards are bunch of LIARS selling SNAKE OIL!!!!!!!

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]xrarey[/nom]Yea, Nicola Tesla tried this, but he certainly didn't perfect it. In fact, his setup was so inefficient he was called crazy to even try it. He was almost shunned from the scientific community for it.[/citation]
That's right, among other things. He also

I'm glad they finally came up with something that is efficient enough to be effective.
No, they haven't. Several laws of physics would have to be very, very wrong if they could do what they claim the way it's made out to work. At best, by setting this thing right up against the wireless hotspot's rubber ducky, you might be able to overcome the self-discharge and slowly, slowly trickle-charge the internal battery. It would likely take hours, probably days, and that's for a best-case scenario. It would be far more efficient and convenient to just plug the charger's battery into its own mains charger; in other words, RCA is most likely bullshitting us.

BartG

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The start of a new era... imagine what will happen in the next years, this could move to Cell phone cells.

Awesome!

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Damn, forgot to write that Tesla "...also laughed off Special Relativity and generally got increasingly loopy in his old age." He once berated Edison for not taking the time to do some math before committing inventions to prototypes, but he himself often made claims that solid theory couldn't support.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Do you people even read the article before commenting? The Blackberry was charged from a battery that was charged from the wifi charger. Who knows how long the battery took to charge off of a wifi signal, but the Blackberry was charged fairly quickly from the battery. 90 min is not bad coming from a battery that got juiced off of air. Completely plausible if you read the article and understand what is said.

tsnor

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ericpaillet[/nom]Hello people?!?!? Anyone really believing this??? This looks like complete snake oil to me. Capacity of a blackberry battery is 1,3Ah x 3V= about 4Wh. 70% charge of this is 2,8Wh. A WiFi signal normally is 0,1W (20dBm) peak power. In reality it is much lower since it is a pulsed signal with a very low duty cycle. Anyway, if you manage to capture 100% of this signal at 100% duty cycle, it will take 28 hours to charge from 30% to 100%. So these bastards are bunch of LIARS selling SNAKE OIL!!!!!!![/citation]

Good analysis.

You can never go wrong accusing marketing/sales of selling snake oil. New and improvedd.

But.. "The rechargeable battery resides within the Airnergy device, and will automatically begin charging once it comes in contact with Wi-Fi signals." the battery is what charged the blackbury. And if I need to carry a separate battery it'll be wall rechargable. ... Now an emergency LED flashlight that was always charged ...

Status
Not open for further replies.