RCA output plug for TV faulty

Alex_322

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
My TV has two (red and white) audio OUT jacks. The white jack works fine and does what it's supposed to. The red jack is giving me trouble as follows: When I try to plug an RCA cable into the red jack, I get garbled sound (bad). However if I unplug the cable and I touch the pin of the cable to the outside metal of the jack it works perfectly (good).

I don't want to send the TV in for repair so the question is - is there a way to "wrap" the cable around the outside of the jack so I can get the desired result?

Solution
Buy some 30 gauge (very thin) ground wires (bare, no insulation) from the hardware store, muster as much dexterity as you can, may solicit a second pair of hands, and wrap the cable or plug over the barrel, end by twisting the 30 gauge but not too much as to not break it, finish with some duct tape to alleviate as much strain from the connection as possible.

Are you sure those RCA are OUTPUTS? Having seen one in years.
Buy some 30 gauge (very thin) ground wires (bare, no insulation) from the hardware store, muster as much dexterity as you can, may solicit a second pair of hands, and wrap the cable or plug over the barrel, end by twisting the 30 gauge but not too much as to not break it, finish with some duct tape to alleviate as much strain from the connection as possible.

Are you sure those RCA are OUTPUTS? Having seen one in years.

Solution

Alex_322

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Hey thanks so much jsmithpa! I will try that!

The plugs in question are your typical red and white audio plugs in the back of all different types of electronics. They are in a section marked AUDIO OUT. There are other sections in the back of the TV marked HDMI 1 and 2, Component 1 and 2, S-video, etc... All those are inputs that I have used to plug in Apple TV, cable box, DVD players etc...

These are the only OUTPUTs I believe, and I've been trying to plug in some headphones (through a Red/White/3.5mm cable), but as mentioned this hasn't worked right.

I will try what you suggested. Thanks again!