real mpeg2 convert

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The situation:
Well i got a real cool tv card that records tv shows with high quality. Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI. Anyways, it has a hardware encoder that outputs mpeg2 directly, unfortunately what they failed to tell me its not REAL mpeg2. You have to install THEIR intervideo codec to view the video. Furthermore you cant install the codec without having the hardware beacuse the codec install checks for it. So i cant view this video on any other computer except the one with the TV card.

What I need:
I need to be able to convert this video to a real standard mpeg2 codec that any computer can see. No DIVX.

What I have tried:
I have tried to use flaskmpeg to convert the video to mpeg2 but flask keeps asking for a seperate audio file! The audio is of course encoded with the video in the file! This is very odd since flask *does* let me convert to DIVX without any trouble. For some reason flask refuses to acknowledge that the audio is in the same file as the video! I have even selected the 'Direct Stream Copy' option in configuration.

?:
HOW DO I FIX THIS!!!

Thanks =c)

P4's are good to pee on.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have a hardware problem. If you were running a p4 everything would work fine.

Media Player does not include MPEG2 codecs so you can't normally use it to playback an mpeg2 stream unless you download the codecs seperate. Try finding the codec at <A HREF="http://www.doom9.net" target="_new">http://www.doom9.net</A> and see if that helps.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ummmmm, are u sure windows media player dont do mpeg2, cause i remmber playin mpg files for years and years and never installing any codec, whatever came with it was what i used. no special video software or nothing like that either. i know flask uses bbMPEG encoder. how do all these windows machines play mpg files if there are no codecs installed on them?

P4's are good to pee on.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just because somerandomfile has a *.mpg or *.avi extention does not mean anything about what is actually in the file. I have seen *.mpg files containing asf coded video and I've seen (and made) *.avi files that contain divx video and mp3 audio. Much of what is contained in *.mpg files is mpeg1 video. To prove me right open media player and try to play a ripped vob from a dvd that is mpeg2. It won't work. Then go to doom9, download and install the codecs I told you to get and try the same thing again.

The reason MPEG2 is such a problem is because of legal issuse that I don't fully understand. None of the normal "hacker" type programs code to MPEG2. This is no big deal because MPEG4 is better anyway.

<font color=red>Fraunhofer video and audio codecs - allows DVD playback in WMP</font color=red> is the one you need, it is in the "filters" section.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lakedude on 07/16/02 06:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hummpfh yep thats the case, i always seemed to think that mpeg2 was open and standard, all the time it was mpeg1. licenses really do suck. what threw me was that in windows media player if you look at the properties of the video it says its using the "mpeg video decoder" to play a mpg file, so i assumed this codec that comes with media player covered mpeg1 and mpeg2. i got it all working now.

P4's are good to pee on.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now you have 3 choices for distro if that is your goal.

1 include the codecs with the video you are trying to show
2 convert to mpeg1 so anyone can view with codecs already on their machine.
3 Recode to one of the divxs and include the divx codecs in the distro.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.