rear 5.1 surround sound speakers don't work

Veronica_33

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I have a 5.1 surround sound system, all my speakers work when I run the test tone, but when I watch movies the rear speakers don't work. How do I get them to work?

Solution
Alright. The fact that they sound when making the test tone but not otherwise, I would think it is a setting that needs to be made on the reciever. Do you have a model number on that aswell? If you have a DVD player you can try to play a film that says that is has a DTS 5.1 track on it, as I am unsure wether devices like a Firestick or Chromecast even support 5.1 sound. You can give a shot at looking through the menu of the reciever (if it has one) to make sure all of the speakers are set as active. Sometimes they are not, so make sure they are.

Illuminations

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Firstly, what reciever are you using? Are the rear speakers completely silent, or just very quiet? Does the film you are watching have a 5.1 audio track? What source is it? Make sure that the reciever is set to the 5.1-mode aswell (if it has such a feature), and not stereo. Also, how is the system wired up?

Veronica_33

Prominent
May 25, 2017
It is an RCA. Yes they are completely silent. I'm not sure of the audio track, I watch them on a firestick. The word are all color coded so they are in the right spots.

Illuminations

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Alright. The fact that they sound when making the test tone but not otherwise, I would think it is a setting that needs to be made on the reciever. Do you have a model number on that aswell? If you have a DVD player you can try to play a film that says that is has a DTS 5.1 track on it, as I am unsure wether devices like a Firestick or Chromecast even support 5.1 sound. You can give a shot at looking through the menu of the reciever (if it has one) to make sure all of the speakers are set as active. Sometimes they are not, so make sure they are.

Solution

chandi

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

hi, I have the same problem but have a Yamaha receiver. is there any way you could help me?

Nov 25, 2018
Firestick ... but casting from what source. NONE of the Youtube videos support Dolby. Turn OFF all simulated surround and make sure audio passes to the reciever without any interpretation from the TV. If the receiver is an AVR, you can try plugging the firestick or chromecast into the AVR directly using the TV as just the display, with the AVR getting the signal first. Netflix supports surround as do blurays and dvds but not many other online sources. Test using this https://archive.org/details/5.1AudioSpeakerTest