Reccomended Headets / Mics for gaming and music.

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
Hey all,

I'm interested in upgradeing my audio.

From what I've read a studio headphone/external mic is much better than a "gaming" headset, but If there is a headset you guys strongly reccomend that also has good sound of music I'd certainly consider it.

As far as what I'd use the new peripherals for, I'd be listening to classic rock as all the new pop/elctronic mainly.
I'd also like to game on the new headphones, I mainly play FPS and MMOs so hearing footsteps is important to me.

As far as budget, $100-500 max, also in that range should I consider a DAC?

I'm a noob as far as audio goes, so I'd love all suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Signal

Solution

If you're coming from low end stuff, it's not going to be as big of an issue as audiophiles make it out to be. If your room is quiet enough though, might as well go with open sets, if nothing else they will be more comfortable to listen to (not in a headband pressure and padding way)
Ton of options in that range, and best thing to do is go to a local audio store and test them out. If you live in or near NYC, take a trip to B&H's store, they have practically every good headphone on display for testing.

In the $100-200 range, your best bets for music+games is something like:
ATH-AD500X
HD 598
G4ME ZERO (if you want boom mic attached)

or if your space is noisy, closed options like:
MDR7510
ATH-M50X

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Thanks so much for the quick response,
I've heard that since the last two you mentioned are closed, (again I'm litterly qouteing here I have no idea what I'm talking about) they have a smaller soundstage and more bass thus lesser performance in FPS games for hearing footsteps?

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Also as far as DACs go what would you reccomend? Or amp? I'm pretty sure most DAC's are just external sound cards, but if not please clairfy, and do a need an amp to power the headphones you mentioned properly?

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Ok thanks! what are your thoughts on the "soundstage" closed vs open I mentinoed above?

If you're coming from low end stuff, it's not going to be as big of an issue as audiophiles make it out to be. If your room is quiet enough though, might as well go with open sets, if nothing else they will be more comfortable to listen to (not in a headband pressure and padding way)

Solution

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Also should I shoot for a 900x over the 500x?