Solved! Recently soldered replacement 3.5mm jack to speakers and now static noise coming out of them

Oct 11, 2018
Hello

Yesterday I replaced a broken 3.5mm jack on my 2.1 speakers and thought it was working well however when I plugged my headphones into the speakers I could hear a very loud static noise. I can hear audio coming out of them and I can barely hear the static noise when the audio is coming out the speakers and not headphones.

I noticed that even if the jack was not connected to anything, as soon as the speakers are connected to a mains plug, the static noise can be heard.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm not great at soldering so I feel like this may be the issue. Many thanks

Solution
You may have applied excessive heat to the circuit board when you soldered the jack. That could lift a circuit trace from the board or damage a component that is soldered to that trace upstream of the jack.
Oct 11, 2018

Hmm I haven't touched the mains plug of the speaker but will have a look.

Is it even possible that a poor ground connection on the audio jack could cause static even if it's not connected to anything?