Recommend an Ultrabook for Gaming and Photoshop?

anhizer

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Im looking at purchasing a gaming ultrabook, mostly to play WoW but also newer games in the future. I also want a system that will work well with editing photos using Photoshop and possibly lightroom. I want to get a very up to date system that is near the beginning of its life cycle. Some other requirements that i would like it to have:
Fast processor (I7)
16gb Ram
Fast GPU (maybe the newer gforce 970?)
SSD w/ min 256gb
I would like a HDD too, but this isnt a firm requirement.
I would like to spend around $2,000, but $2,500 is OK.
I am located in the US if that matters.

I like the look of the new Razer Blade as it meets most of my criteria.

I have also looked briefly at the MSI and Gigabyte systems, but i am a little concerned about their build quality. Are there any other systems i should be considering?

Solution
So yeah, i guess "ultrabook" is not exactly the correct term. I want to get something similar in build quality to a macbook pro - size and weight are important to me as I would like to use it for travel.

what about the 970 leads you to believe that it will die in a year? is it the thermal properties?

i don't plan on doing a LOT of gaming, but i want something that is powerful enough that i dont have to keep using a desktop. I have an older desktop that i have been using for photoshop and gaming, but i would prefer to use a laptop.

Honestly, if i cant find something that fits my criteria im probably not going to bother buying anything at all.

Ragez234

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
You're looking for a gaming laptop, Ultrabook is a type of Intel laptop that has a low power Intel processor and is a very small form factor with increased battery life. Gaming laptops are very bulky/heavy and have very minimal battery life.

You are looking for the gaming laptop type right?

This is very difficult as gaming laptops tend to be big. Ultrabooks and gaming don't go together. I would suggest a gaming desktop and maybe an ultrabook for photoshop. This is so that the laptop you choose won't die in a year, trust me, it will if it has a gtx 970m in a this chasis.

anhizer

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
So yeah, i guess "ultrabook" is not exactly the correct term. I want to get something similar in build quality to a macbook pro - size and weight are important to me as I would like to use it for travel.

what about the 970 leads you to believe that it will die in a year? is it the thermal properties?

i don't plan on doing a LOT of gaming, but i want something that is powerful enough that i dont have to keep using a desktop. I have an older desktop that i have been using for photoshop and gaming, but i would prefer to use a laptop.

Honestly, if i cant find something that fits my criteria im probably not going to bother buying anything at all.

Solution

Ragez234

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
I custom built my laptop on http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php, I too traveled a lot and she was my pride and joy. You can custom build your laptop to your liking.

I've had mine for over 4 years and am still able to play new games on high 1080p settings. Price is a little steep, but the build quality is superb.