Recommendation on laptop cooling stand or system

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Solution
yeah, I actually have the one right at the top, my laptop is small 12.4" so that one works fine

on antec website the classic cooler is rated for laptops up to 16", so it'll probably be a bit small for your 17", but check it out at the store if you find one.

this one looks like it's got plenty of open space to allow airflow, but one huge fan could make a lot of noise.

AntiZig

Distinguished
That cooler looks great, but I'm afraid if your concern is being too flat on the table it has the wrong air flow configuration.

It's designed to draw air from bottom to top, I think in your case you should be looking for it to pull air from sides to top.

Also, those axial fans are hella noisy, see if you can find a cooler with centrifugal fans. Unless of course you don't care about the noise, then axial fans would be fine.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Thanks. Tonight I will take a closer look at my laptop to see if it takes air from below as well. From the pictures found at the web site, I only can see a grill on the left side where I assume air is coming out of laptop. I don't remember seeing anything at the back.

At this point I am also considering this other cooler:

Zalman ZM-NC2000Black Notebook Cooler (Black)

Let me see if I can post more info about this laptop later today and if anyone has other ideas or comments. I hope I will not have run the fans in these coolers to their max speed to avoid much noise.

AntiZig

Distinguished
Don't need any more info about your laptop, there's plenty of images on toshiba website. it takes air from below and exhausts it to the left side. (I have yet to see a laptop that does otherwise)

thus, laptop coolers not surprisingly help push air towards the bottom of your laptop, however, the way coolers do it is 2 ways, they take air from the bottom and push up or they take air from the side and push up.

From practice/etc I'd recomment the type that takes air from the side and pushes it up, it just makes more sense that way rather than trying to grab air from the table/your lap.

the second cooler you posted isn't clear where it gets the air from or what the fan configuration is.

In general, I'd recommend you go to a local store and look at what's available there. I picked up a simple antec cooler that has vents on the sides and two centrifugal fans in the middle to push the air up. Has been working wonderfully for me. You might find something similar at local bestbuy or even radioshack.

Unless you're absolutely sure you want some particular brand, that you can only get from the internet.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Sorry to ask this, but since you mention antec, I wonder if any of these models are the one you have: (see antec model middle of the page down)

See antec models mid-way through this web page

Thanks.

AntiZig

Distinguished
yeah, I actually have the one right at the top, my laptop is small 12.4" so that one works fine

on antec website the classic cooler is rated for laptops up to 16", so it'll probably be a bit small for your 17", but check it out at the store if you find one.

this one looks like it's got plenty of open space to allow airflow, but one huge fan could make a lot of noise.

Solution

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I think the classic cooler may work. I will check it out this weekend. The other cooler seems to big and may be to noisy. I actually took a look at a youtube review of the 200 cooler, and it was loud and ugly. I hope the classic may work.