Recommendations: ultrabook for a programmer ?

ramielsawy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Hey guys,

So I am planning on getting myself a new laptop, not so in a rush but I wouldn't wait for more than 3 months.

So my budget in euros shouldn't exceed 3 digits (max 999,99 euros).
I am a programmer and not at all into gaming, but watching a high quality movie wouldn't be a bad thing from time to time.

So the specs that I am looking for and my reasons behind (which could and eventually will be wrong - that's why im here)

- i5 processor, as I think that i7 is a battery eater and i5 would be cool for the things im doing.
- 4th, 5th generation: really can't decide on this, read somewhere that 5th generation come with a negligible improvement in performance (~5%) BUT A HUGE improvement in battery consumption. So don't know how to judge here.
- 8gb RAM : wouldn't accept less than 8gb of RAM as I am easily at 4gb while working
- DDR3 : because I have no idea what does it add to me a DDR4
- Lightweight (~2 kg) : That's the only esthetic need. I saw cool things at 1.4 kgs !
- battery life : I bought a huge 9cell battery for my last XPS and a 1.5 year later it was pretty useless ! just some more free weight. Saw some lap tops with integrated battery and a normal external battery. Love the idea.
- Maybe an SSD : wouldn't mind buying one later to pamper myself.

I don't want to distract you or get you biased with the ones I found online. I came here to get your recommendations in the first place :)

Thank you so much in advance for the discussion.

Rami

ramielsawy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014

I thought of the macbook but it is way above my budget. And well, coding for iOS i would just do it on a virtual machine if i really need to.

Cheers