Record Player Rips MP3s From Vinyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
These things have been around for a LONG time. This isn't news. This is advertising. I'd almost rather read about rumoured specs for he iPod Touch 4.... nah not really.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Uh, players like this have been around for years. Heck, Stanton has several models that do pcm output as well as a straight analog.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
yeah, Vinyl to MP3 via USB has been around for a LONG time; hell they even have audio cassette to MP3 solutions these days. Perhaps the only notable improvement this makes is the addition of an iPod dock as well as direct to SD card MP3 creation, rather than piping the sound through computer software to digitize your collection. So yeah, it's a step up but it's not revolutionary.
I actually initially mistook this for a Kevin Parrish article. My bad.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
If you're stuck with a large vinyl collection and suffer from a lack of space

If this a problem, let me know I'd be glad to take them off your hands for cheap and do this for you....

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Useless article... could read about these devices even in SkyMall magazine on domestic flights, years ago.. Rico, you can do better than that.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]MP3...really?Vinyl, and it's taking MP3?[/citation]
x2, bet they sound like ass. If you're a vinyl kind of guy, you better be using lossless codecs. Otherwise, why bother?

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Any old record player connected to the line in of a pc will do the job. I transferred my father's vinyls when I was about 12 years old.

G

Sort of defeats the purpose of vinyl imo. Even "lossless" is inferior to analog. Still, can't deny the practicality of digital.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]
Uh, if you own a vinyl collection, you should already have one.[/citation]

If one has a vinyl collection one should really invest in a good turntable (starting at $400 and going up) and phono preamp and enjoy sound that will blow away mp3 and CDs. MP3s and CDs are to music as mcdonalds is to food.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Red & White Aux to 3.5mm jack into the back of your soundcard.Audiograbber freeware.Line in record from your existing turntable.Same job for the cost of a $1 cable.[/citation]

Dont forget a pre-amp to get the signal from the turntable up to a usable level, not to mention the low end augmentation the pre-amp provides. But otherwise spot on.

ncarlson

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I had the random idea...what would the music industry be like today if a kind of safedisc or starforce protection was developed for vinyl?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]rsud[/nom]If one has a vinyl collection one should really invest in a good turntable (starting at $400 and going up) and phono preamp and enjoy sound that will blow away mp3 and CDs. MP3s and CDs are to music as mcdonalds is to food.[/citation]

You're right, I love it when my music cracks and pops because a tiny fleck of dust jumped under the needle of my record player, or because the record has the tiniest warp in it, or because it's simply degraded over time.

You holier-than-thou analog elitists are never going to go away, are you?

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]You're right, I love it when my music cracks and pops because a tiny fleck of dust jumped under the needle of my record player, or because the record has the tiniest warp in it, or because it's simply degraded over time.You holier-than-thou analog elitists are never going to go away, are you?[/citation]
I'll preface my comment here by saying I've never owned a turn table, or any vinyl. But your comments are ignorant and misguided at best. Vinyl sounds better than CD on a quality hifi system. I have no desire to get into the hobby of collecting and maintaining records, but having heard what it is capable of, I can definitely see why some people do. The detail of analog sound is absolutely amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.