T-Nichs

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Hello Wise Ones!

I was looking at getting a video camera and need some help with fps. What exactly is the difference between 30fps and 60fps? If I got a video camera, should I always film in 60fps and if not, when should I film in each fps?

Any help is appreciated and thank you so much for your time!

k1114

Distinguished
Youtube supports 60fps now so I've been seeing more game recordings at 60 but most of what you see is still 30 as live action can just have motion blur and it's smaller file size. You can always record higher and re-encode to 30fps if you don't need it at 60 or if you want smaller file size. But recording at 30 then deciding you want it at 60, you're mostly out of luck. Interpolating is very noticeable and ugly to me. What you see on regular tv is 30, movies are 24. It really depends on the purpose and the look you are going for.

T-Nichs

Estimable
May 25, 2014

So, if I record at 60 fps and then upload at 60fps will it be slow motion kinda? I would be recording a lot of different things from video podcasts to like funny videos to us doing sports. If I record at 60fps and then re-encode to 30fps will it look smoother?

k1114

Distinguished
It won't be slow motion. It will be the same exact speed, it's both 60fps. Fps is frames per second. You ares just showing more frames which means it's looks smoother. Living things do not see in frames, we see a constant flow of light. When you see something with a low frame rate, it's choppy. Go on youtube and watch vids that compare 60fps vs a 30fps, there's quite a lot of them although mostly game stuff. Recording at 60 and re-encoding to 30 will look the same as 30, assuming you aren't stretching it for slow mo.