Removing partitions wise choice?

Mihawk09

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
So im trying to upgrade to Windows 10 my mini laptop has an eMMC of 32GB i formatted my primary partition and i got 18GB in total out of it. I saw that Drive 1 Partition 4: Image (Recovery Partition), takes 10GB in total and is only using 66 mb It says 944.0MB of free space. Can i format and delete this partition and merge it with my primary partition would this be a wise choice?

Solution
That image partition contains the image of your windows OS that came with the laptop. Probably Windows 8.1 or whatever it has. Yes you can delete it, but if you ever put the recovery CD back in it will most likely repartition your drive and recreate the Image partition. If you don't have a copy of the original OS I would make a copy. Many laptops come with the image on the drive like yours, then in the manual it will instruct you to burn a backup CD of it in case the hard drive goes. Often there is an app in windows from the manufacturer to create this backup. Look through the start menu for such an app, or look in the book of the laptop. It may say in the first few pages to back up your OS and instruct you how.

I would create...

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
That image partition contains the image of your windows OS that came with the laptop. Probably Windows 8.1 or whatever it has. Yes you can delete it, but if you ever put the recovery CD back in it will most likely repartition your drive and recreate the Image partition. If you don't have a copy of the original OS I would make a copy. Many laptops come with the image on the drive like yours, then in the manual it will instruct you to burn a backup CD of it in case the hard drive goes. Often there is an app in windows from the manufacturer to create this backup. Look through the start menu for such an app, or look in the book of the laptop. It may say in the first few pages to back up your OS and instruct you how.

I would create the backup first. Then go ahead and remove all the partitions and recreate what you want for Windows 10. That image partition has no use with Windows 10.

Solution
If you format said partition, you will not be able to run the HP recovery software. You should be able to back it up via DVDs or a USB flash drive, though; afterwards, if the backup is working, then you are free to do with that partition as you please.

Keep in mind that if you cannot access the HP recovery software that they can provide it to you for a fee.