Removing SLI for single GPU

Gforlife

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
So I didn't know if I should put this here on in the laptop section forgive me if its in the wrong place...

Ok so my friend has an alienware M18x, i7, 2670QM 8 GB RAM ,GTX 560M sli, and is basically looking to play overwatch requirements i5, gtx 660 ,6GB Ram and I know the 560m's won't cut it. I can easily get a hold of an 880m for $400 or a 980m for $750, but will the laptop run if I take out the 560m's and only insert 1 card leaving the other slot empty?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald

Rogue Leader

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
The only one who can truly answer that is Alienware, that said it should work, SLI is not normally required for a system to operate, and on top of that they likely don't have a unique motherboard for a single card setup.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald

Gforlife

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the post, feeling confident at convincing him of a single card

But if its sli then each card pulls their own power so a 880m at 100 TDP or a 980m at 122 TDP should be ok unless its a single slot power issue in which case a 970m should be doable since it beats the 880m in a lot of ways

edit: nvm the 900 series doesn't work in r1 series

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Well the way the heatsinks are configured concerns me, quite far apart so I doubt it would have the same cooling potential as direct contact. I don't think it would be a matter of dissipation anyway. The slot circuitry itself may only be rated for 75W or it will be limited in what you can plug in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop Tech Support 1
Ryun1975 Laptop Tech Support 2
kenzomenzo Laptop Tech Support 1
DestinedPotato Laptop Tech Support 4
H Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 0
dipudangol Laptop Tech Support 8
AG95 Laptop Tech Support 5
hikswolf Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 1