Repair Site Makes iPad 3 Prototype With Rumored Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
high res is perfect for pictures ,but not as useful in rest of the time -12 pixel font is not readable in iPhone(for me) .Display size and contrast matters more to me than pixel size.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]However, it's not quite Retina display quality, as the iPhone 4's Retina display screen is a much higher 326 ppi.[/citation]

You could argue that it is a retina display - because you tend to hold tablets further away than phones.

Remember, 'retina' can't be quantified as a specific PPI level for all devices. It's the level of PPI which is required for the pixels to not be distinguishable by the human eye at the average distance a normal user holds the device in question.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Who needs all that resolution in such a small screen! Another marketing gimick for the clueless?[/citation]

Compare an iPhone 4 display your best 1080p tablet display, if you cannot see the difference you are probably legally blind.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ivyanev[/nom]high res is perfect for pictures ,but not as useful in rest of the time -12 pixel font is not readable in iPhone(for me) .Display size and contrast matters more to me than pixel size.[/citation]

Where are you finding these unreadable fonts on the iPhone? As in, which application?

All the native apps on iPhone are designed to be readable at that size (the resolution is irrelevant because the iPhone can automatically upscale so they are the same size on any iPhone), and on websites you can very easily and quickly zoom in to any size you want?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]Compare an iPhone 4 display your best 1080p tablet display, if you cannot see the difference you are probably legally blind.[/citation]
Of course you can see the difference, but the tablet i also a LOT easier to read than the teeny tiny 3.5" iPhone screen.
There really is no reason for such a high res display in a device that has such a miniscule display area. 960x640 is really not a lot better than even the most average 4"+ phones these days, and doesn't come close to the top of the line phones and middle of the road tablets that can do proper HD.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Of course you can see the difference, but the tablet i also a LOT easier to read than the teeny tiny 3.5" iPhone screen.There really is no reason for such a high res display in a device that has such a miniscule display area. 960x640 is really not a lot better than even the most average 4"+ phones these days, and doesn't come close to the top of the line phones and middle of the road tablets that can do proper HD.[/citation]

Hold them at the same distance and the iphone 4 display is still easier to read and the difference is still very noticable.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Which 'top of the line phone' are you referring to which does proper HD?

I think the iPhone 4 display is far far superior in terms of clarity and sharpness to an 'average 4" phone'.

Comparing how easy it is to read on a tablet and a phone is not really about resolution - it's about size. Take two tablets, both the same size. One has 4x the number of pixels. Which one will be clearer? This is why the iPad 3 will be an improvement over the iPad 2 due to its higher resolution - it will be visibly clearer.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
In that case, my NS has a retina display, 'cause one can not distinguish individual pixels from the average distance.... Hell, short of first gen screens, almost all phones have retina displays.
I can also read it in full daylight, something the non-s-Amoled screen users can not say. In my book, that beats any claims for high-res out there: "oh, your screen is gorgeous, too bad you have to run for shade to see it!". Yeah...
For the repair shop owners: prepare to be sued into oblivion by Apple's minions. They will find some legal grounds to do that. They sued God for rendering the forbidden fruit in the shape of an apple AND they have a patent for a basic geometric shape. This case should be piece of cake for them.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]In that case, my NS has a retina display, 'cause one can not distinguish individual pixels from the average distance.... Hell, short of first gen screens, almost all phones have retina displays. I can also read it in full daylight, something the non-s-Amoled screen users can not say. In my book, that beats any claims for high-res out there: "oh, your screen is gorgeous, too bad you have to run for shade to see it!". Yeah...For the repair shop owners: prepare to be sued into oblivion by Apple's minions. They will find some legal grounds to do that. They sued God for rendering the forbidden fruit in the shape of an apple AND they have a patent for a basic geometric shape. This case should be piece of cake for them.[/citation]

On most phones, I personally can make out the individual pixels - but not the iPhone 4S. Perhaps you have bad eyesight? The retina display is based on a person with normal eyesight - not you personally.

I have no idea why you are talking about a) phones or b) reading in daylight, since pretty much every phone lets you do that.

If we refer it back to the iPad - the screen gets brighter when the ambient light is brighter, and works perfectly well in daylight. Combine that with a higher resolution and you have an industry leading device (if they make it to these specs). The AMOLED screens have worse performance when the screen is at an angle, not so good if you want to watch something on your iPad with friends/family.

Guessing about Apple suing the repair shop is just trolling.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]U work for apple? how do u know about a product that hasnt even come out? or are u just talking out of your ass[/citation]

We're starting with the premise that the rumoured specs are true, and saying 'what if?'..

I don't think it's such a big stretch to say that if the iPad 3 has 4x the number of pixels that the quality of the screen will look better...

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
so the iphone 3 will have a > 1080x1920 display...
Maybe this will make 2560x1600 displays more poplar and less expensive! yeah right.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]all that resolution and you can't even watch "certain films" on it?[/citation]

What films are you referring to?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]Compare an iPhone 4 display your best 1080p tablet display, if you cannot see the difference you are probably legally blind.[/citation]

lol, exactly. del35 is just trolling all things Apple again. Device is not even out yet and there is no side by side comparisons so he just wants to say something negative to get attention. We all know he is a closet Apple lover..... come on out del35 it is ok ;-)

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]U work for apple? how do u know about a product that hasnt even come out? or are u just talking out of your ass[/citation]

He is talking about the well known fact that the IPad3's differentiation is supposed the "Retina" display. Don't have to work for Apple. Just have to read 1 or 2 of the thousands of tech sites out there. In order to support high resolution without making everything smaller you have to increase the pixel density. Makes everything much clearer, sharper and more vibrant. I am sure someone will do a comparison between the IPad3 and the competition.

G

Oh dear!!!!....
is this the OMG of technology?

....rumors ,biased articles,adverts,faked pictures....

Status
Not open for further replies.