Replace cable television with what

mumford68

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Cable is getting very expensive.
We have 2 TV's that are CRTs (coax and a/v inputs).

Currently have 1 streamable (somewhat limited) WD TV Live box.

Wireless internet router through cable company.

After reading up on cable alternatives on the net I don't feel any closer to finding a good alternative to cable TV and to make things more complicated I wonder (and would really like) if I can have the alternative to cable TV auto record programs?

It's complicated to me to find something that carries most of what cable does (the big networks and popular ones (CBS/NBC/abc/fox, etc) and (for i.e. freeform, history, discovery, tbs, etc etc).

I figure I will need to buy equipment but if there is a way to spend a lump some and not lose much or any of what we like watching on cable and can get it to work on our outdated televisions and hopefully not miss or have to constantly keep a list of programs to watch(stream) {i.e. home DVR/cloud DVR) and finally save on this big monthly bill that would be great.

I assume many have opinions and ideas and I look forward to hearing them.

Thank you much,
Steve

Solution
These days, these guys come closest to "Mainstream TV without cable". There are many devices which support this service, but I suppose quite few (if any) have anything but HDMI.

If I was you - I would scrap these power-hugging CRT monsters, and get a modern Smart TV with supports for streaming services of choice.

p.p. On a side note: If you add monthly subsruptions for Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/Sling, you're damn close to basic cable service... My own experience is that one service is just not enough...
These days, these guys come closest to "Mainstream TV without cable". There are many devices which support this service, but I suppose quite few (if any) have anything but HDMI.

If I was you - I would scrap these power-hugging CRT monsters, and get a modern Smart TV with supports for streaming services of choice.

p.p. On a side note: If you add monthly subsruptions for Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/Sling, you're damn close to basic cable service... My own experience is that one service is just not enough...

Solution