Replace laptop and desktop with Surface

zece

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I just want a device for home use, school and work. Mainly browsing, multimedia and MS Office. I'm planning to connect it to an 1080p display at home. Is this hybrid capable of replacing a laptop for the stuff mentioned above ?

On the other hand should I wait for the Surface Pro 4 or just get the Pro 3 ? I'm planning to buy it in December/January

It is generally possible to rely on a Surface Pro 3 / 4 as you primary device as long as you can live with it's limitations. I think the highest configuration has 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD which cannot be upgraded. If you want more storage capacity, then you will need to rely on external storage.

Unlike the Surface Pro 3 which has a SSD, the Surface 3 uses eMMC storage which is roughly equivalent to the performance of a 5400rpm hard drive. That and a weaker Cherry Trail generation Atom CPU compared to a Haswell generation Core CPU. However, the Atom CPU will be enough for browsing, multimedia and average MS Office usage.

zece

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Not really average Office work, I'm practicing financial modeling in excel. I think I'll get the fourth version, must probably the 14" one.