Question replace laptop battery cells

Shinnen

Estimable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi,
I have an old Aspire ZG5 which seems to have a dead battery. I've opened the battery and found 3 Samsung ICR18650-22F (SD1 8A2) cells. They each measure a fraction of a volt, 1 volt from end to end. I would like some advice wrt what to do, and what NOT to do in replacing them
Any help is appreciated.
........ john

Shinnen

Estimable
Aug 16, 2019

USAFRet

Illustrious
Hi,
The batteries are connected by metal strips which are spot welded to the batteries.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g092428fa33aaa97010004250566bc5c9100a4849b3
I'm hoping to find replacement cells and solder them in.
....... john
OK, typical ICR18650-22F Lithium batteries.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ICR18650-22F

If this is your first lap around the track with soldering batteries, I suggest you don't do this.
Done wrong, and you can screw up the laptop.
Or worse, start a fire. And a lithium battery fire is no small potatoes.

Shinnen

Estimable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi John
At first measure with the Voltmeter (V) the Volts of the batteries at the + and - points.
If the Volts at + and - are not proper you must change the battery/ies with a new one.
-It is good to check the cables which give power to the battery/ies and if the power cables are ok then replace the battery/ies.
-You could replace the battery on the right and left side of it.
-You could replace the battery from the electric terminal using a small screwdriver.
-May if the Laptop is very old you haven't the choice to replace the battery/ies and now you must proceed to bye a new one.
-Finally, if the battery/ies is on the motherboard of the laptop maybe you need an electric soldering iron for replacing the battery/ies.

I hope to help you
Giannis
Hi,
"-You could replace the battery on the right and left side of it." I'm not sure I know what you mean. Replace the end batteries and leave the middle one alone?
"-You could replace the battery from the electric terminal using a small screwdriver." There are no screws. The three batteries are are connected in series and soldered to the controller board of the battery unit. Then the battery unit is plugged into the computer, and goes where the computer goes, so that the computer can be operated without an external power source. The batteries are NOT soldered to the motherboard.
The computer will operate without the battery, when plugged into the power adapter.
You're right, this computer is very old; but I understand the battery cells are available. My only concern is replacing them properly. I'm trying to avoid the price of a new battery unit.
..... john

Shinnen

Estimable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi USAFRet,
The laptop is old and, well, not worth much; but the fire hazard is concerning. You say 'done wrong'. So, what constitutes 'wrong'?
Thanks,
...... john

USAFRet

Illustrious
Hi USAFRet,
The laptop is old and, well, not worth much; but the fire hazard is concerning. You say 'done wrong'. So, what constitutes 'wrong'?
Thanks,
...... john
A little too much heat, and you can render the new battery inop.
A little bit more 'too much', and you can burn your house down.

Shinnen

Estimable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi USAFRet,
OK, thanks for the tutorial. It obviously takes some know how, which I do not posses; so I will heed your advise on not attempt it. Oddly, none of the online videos (that I saw) provide these warnings. Thanks again.
Having said that, how can I determine if the computer is providing enough juice to charge a good battery unit?
... john

Reactions: anaya1