Replace RAID 0 in ASUS Zenbook UX301LA

avdmeers

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Problem description:

I bought the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-C4006H recently under the assumption that is has a single 256 GB. The webstore I bought it from offers two closely related models, as a matter of fact, they are exactly the same except for the color.

On the webstore however, one mentions explicitly that it works with two 128 GB SSD in RAID 0 configuration, the other does not, it simply mentions 256 GB. Turns out it is also RAID 0, but they hide this fact. This model is also 100 euros more expensive (I suppose a black color really does cost 100 euro more...).

Now I'm stuck with the latter laptop. Because my knowledge on hardware is lacking, I ask:

Is it possible to simply replace the RAID 0 SSD with one single SSD? Sources on the internet mention a BIOS switch for RAID 0, does that mean the RAID 0 is part of the motherboard or something? Is it possible to recover the Windows OS from the original hard drive(s) and copy it onto the new (single) SSD?

Solution
I would say that you should create an image of your C: drive and save it onto an external hard drive. Hopefully it will be smaller than 128GB. Then look for how to break the RAID 0 configuration. I would assume there has to be an option for that in the BIOS. Or call Asus tech support.

Be aware that the Windows restore partition is likely on that RAID so once you break it you will loose the possibility of restoring Windows to factory condition.

I believe once you have created an image you would need to clone the image from the HDD to one of the SSD on a separate PC. After the cloning process is complete reinstall the SSD in the laptop and I think you should be okay. That copy of your OS on the HDD is now your restore image should you...

AhmedP

Estimable
May 20, 2014
Why dont you want RAID 0? Im actually looking to buy that very model, UX301LA, the i7 model. And the 256gb in RAID 0 is something im really looking forward to. I dont think the RAID is a part of the motherboard, yeah it has to support but the setup is done with software. Im a bit of a rookie so you might want to wait for better experienced members to answer. Anyway can you tell me your experience with the laptop? Ive been reading many reviews of the old version have keyboard problems but cant find any proper reviews for this model. Can you tell me how youre liking it? Pros and cons

avdmeers

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Aside from a home replacement I'd like to use the laptop for work related stuff as well. I reckon RAID 0 is too much of a risk (potential permanent data loss); I mainly need the computing power and not fast read-write times.

I decided to keep the laptop (confirmed that RAID 0 is not hardware, though in the BIOS a switch must be used). In the end, this might even work out better than anticipated. I intend a dual boot with Windows on one SSD and Linux on the other. I would have liked more than 128GB for the the latter though, but I could alter the hardware later on. I'll likely add a partition on the Windows SSD for the linux root system or var/ directory.

Can't comment too much on the experience for now, as I haven't had the time to configure everything. But I'll try to do that during the weekend. For intensive typing, I'll use an external keyboard to use in conjunction with the laptop. Nonetheless, the laptop was selected for its (relatively) good keyboard, apparently among the better in its class.

I would say that you should create an image of your C: drive and save it onto an external hard drive. Hopefully it will be smaller than 128GB. Then look for how to break the RAID 0 configuration. I would assume there has to be an option for that in the BIOS. Or call Asus tech support.

Be aware that the Windows restore partition is likely on that RAID so once you break it you will loose the possibility of restoring Windows to factory condition.

I believe once you have created an image you would need to clone the image from the HDD to one of the SSD on a separate PC. After the cloning process is complete reinstall the SSD in the laptop and I think you should be okay. That copy of your OS on the HDD is now your restore image should you need to do a clean install of Windows.

Solution

lduvall

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Why dont you want RAID 0? (Sorry for the late posting, but it is still valid)

I got my spouse a UX301La with Raid 0. Very fast bootup, and a nice machine. 14 months later she had a couple of disk error warnings, which she ignored, and then a harddisk failure. In spite of the warning messages, she hadn't backed up her data - and she lost a year's worth of work. There is nothing to recover with a Raid 0 configuration if it fails.

I bought the same laptop about 3 months after buying the first machine. Now, about a month after her harddisk crash, my machine, which she is using, is getting disk errors on bootup, so it appears ASUS had either a batch of bad drives, or the brand they used was not up to the task.

Naturally both machines are just out of the one-year warranty period, but my extended warranty through the card that I used to buy the machines will take care of repairs - but it is a hassle. When I get the repairs done, I will specify having the machine/s set up without Raid 0 configuration.

I was able to install Linux on my wife's machine, so it is usable - until I get to a authorized ASUS repair facility. But the data, and the Windows 8 system partition are gone.

Nice machines otherwise!