Replacing Laptop motherboard

thegiant11

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
Can I replace my dead laptop motherboard with a used one if they have different part number?
They have the same exact shape and made for the same laptop model but differ in graphics card.

My laptop is Dell Inspiron N5010.
My current MoBo part number K2WFF
The new MoBo (that I want ) Part Number: 52F31

Solution
going to say no due to diffrent power requirements for diffrent laptops your laptops battery would drain faster if laptops gpu is diffrent and hotter it will damage the case due to not cooled properly. the board may fit but the cooling could be diffrent that and youd be paying for a new operating system

same board installed no issues no need for new operating system
new board new bios number new drivers the harddrive will not post until a new operating system is installed

beyondlogic

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
going to say no due to diffrent power requirements for diffrent laptops your laptops battery would drain faster if laptops gpu is diffrent and hotter it will damage the case due to not cooled properly. the board may fit but the cooling could be diffrent that and youd be paying for a new operating system

same board installed no issues no need for new operating system
new board new bios number new drivers the harddrive will not post until a new operating system is installed

Solution

thegiant11

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

Thanks a lot for your clear answer...

Also according to a technician it is not going to work since the new board have different chipsets. I have no choice but buying the same model..

beyondlogic

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

when refitting the cooling etc remember to apply thermal paste to all chips covered by a heatsink

i would go with mx4 as its lasts 8 years use a clean plastic gift card to spread tiny amounts of the chips that require cooling and then lock the cooler back in place

its no problem this question gets asked alot