Replacing Realtek Onboard audio with Creative SBX X-Fi Soundcard

caseyst

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
After years of fighting Realtek's awful onboard audio on my Dell Studio XPS 8100 (running Windows 7 64bit), I have bought a Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro external. I followed instructions exactly on the installation, but cannot get any sound. Since it was supposed to be plug and play I'm ripping out my hair. Sound icon in tray shows no speakers or headphones plugged in.

caseyst

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

I'd rather just get this one working actually. :)

caseyst

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

I wish I could tell you that, but I'm not someone who goes into the bios normally. I have tried going into Control Panel>Sound/Playback and disabling Realtek but it won't allow me to do that. Currently it has the speakers plugged into the SBX card showing as default device, with Realtek and SPDIF-Out showing as Ready.

pedrochin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
You enter the bios when you turn on your computer. Look at the Dell splash screen as it boots up, it'll tell you which key to press. Hold down the Del or F2 or F12 key during the boot process. If Windows boots up, you were too late, try again - you have only a few seconds before Win boots to enter the bios.

caseyst

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

Once i'm in - what do I look for? Sorry to be so needy!

pedrochin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Should be obvious, IF it is there...just a toggle on/off for onboard sound (like onboard video). The bios for a Dell is fairly simplistic with less options (to mess up your PC) so it may not be there. You may also want to check/update your bios version.
Also check for drivers from the sandblaster/creative site...
Try other USB ports...

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
I would actually just boot into Windows normally once you're done in BIOS and go ahead and right-click on the speaker icon on the right side of your taskbar and click Playback Devices. From there it should either be labeled as Creative, SoundBlaster, USB Audio Device, etc... Just make sure it's set as the default device. If there's nothing listed that fits this criteria, right-click in the empty space within the window below where the devices are listed and check Show Disabled Devices. Then check again to see if anything that looks like your USB audio is showing. If not, post back and we'll work with you.

caseyst

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
So far nothing works, after following all of your suggestions. I have restored my system back to before and have reboxed this card up to return to Amazon. Realtek has defeated me again (this is not the first time I've fought with it - gaming is hell with no sound on Bioshock) If I did buy an internal card for this computer, what would you suggest that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (I work at home and absolutely have to have a good headset/mic setup), and would i still have to fight Realtek HD onboard audio to get it to work?

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Someone wanna suggest a sound card for less than the PowerColor Devil HDX at $160 please? Would be Uber helpful to the man with the question... Sound cards aren't my specialty, I just happen to ABSOLUTELY LOVE the PowerColor Devil HDX which I've been using for awhile now.